Old Diesel Fuel...

Smokin ACE

1st gen turbo tester
I picked up a transfer tank that goes in a truck and its about full of old diesel fuel. I'm guessin at least 30-40 gallons of it. And I'm guessin that its at least 3 or 4 years old if not more. But the way fuel prices are right now I thought about tryin to clean it a bit and run 5 gallons of this old fuel to a full tank of good fuel in my truck or tractor or somethin. It is farm fuel and it looks almost orange right now, and not that crisp red color. It smells almost like paint and not really like diesel. I was gonna pump it into my big farm tank (thats empty) and run it through the filter I have on that tank and cycle it through itself a few times so it will get filtered and get most the water out of it I can. I was then gonna get some diesel additive for it and then run 5 or 10 gallons of it in a full tank of good fuel. Do you think its worth doing? I'd really like to try it since fuel is so high and not waste it. I have an airdog so I have a good filtering system on my truck as well, then I was gonna put my new filters on when I got done burnin all this old stuff.

Would it be okay or a bad idea? I just don't want it to seem like a good and cheap idea now and have my Injection pump or injectors go bad in the future or have problems with my truck not running and waste a tank of good fuel. What would be the best fuel additive to get rid of the algae and water, and make it burnable? I saw some lucas diesel treat stuff in the store the other day for old fuel and wondered how good it was, I haven't had good luck with powerservice stuff so don't really want to go with them.

damed ol' 12 valve will run on anything, i say filter it a time or two and dilute it like you said and you should be a-ok

Use it to kill weeds beside the barn. No sense ruining a $1000 injection pump over $100 of fuel.

I just got a fuel tank to an it has about 25 gallons in it an it stinks so i'm gonna mix some used motor oil with it an filter it an run it!

I ran 26 gallons of 10+ year old red diesel mixed 50/50 with green with no issues! o yea in my 6.0

Back in '05 I acquired just shy of 800 gallons of 7 year old Dyed Diesel Fuel. It had turned the Orange color also. I Pumped it it straight into my '99 7.3l 6spd truck. Not one issue.. Just made a little more smoke.. But didn't see a drop in mileage or power.

We have run older fuel than that with no problems at all.

I'm thinkin I'll get a paint filter and filter it, then add a little additive and pour 5 gallons of it in every tank and see what it does, I guess if I have problems I can drain the tank through my sump and put fresh fuel in, I'm thinkin it'd be fine though if I dilute it a lot, if they can run 50/50 or more used motor oil then I think I can run this.

Back