Oops...hurt the trans

Park acts like park. Neutral acts like neutral. Drive and first act like drive and first (although it could be actually engaging 2nd). Reverse acts like the brakes are locked or the parking break is on (not that it would actually hold it) or it's sitting against a wheel chalk.

If you somehow welded the forward clutch, you wouldn't be able to use reverse because it would be acting like a transbrake trying to engage reverse with a band and forward with the forward clutch pack.

If you put it in neutral and rev the motor, does it try to go forward?

Neutral does nothing...exactly like its still in park. Reverse will smoke and egts get hot like its got a huge load on it, but goes nowhere. Drive is fine, slips bad when it shifts. After coming to a stop it stays in limp mode, and I can force it into first.

I have a local Goerend dealer that's going to rebuild it.

Stupid phone....

Caveat Emptor...Caveat Venditor.

If you somehow welded the forward clutch, you wouldn't be able to use reverse because it would be acting like a transbrake trying to engage reverse with a band and forward with the forward clutch pack.

If you put it in neutral and rev the motor, does it try to go forward?

Neutral does nothing...exactly like its still in park. Reverse will smoke and egts get hot like its got a huge load on it, but goes nowhere. Drive is fine, slips bad when it shifts. After coming to a stop it stays in limp mode, and I can force it into first.

I have a local Goerend dealer that's going to rebuild it.

Stupid phone....

Caveat Emptor...Caveat Venditor.

In discussion the other day about this, and I haven't went through it in my head yet. Wondering if a clean break on the intermediate would exhibit the same characteristics. Possibly with a welded rear clutch also.

Last edited:
When I welded the fwd cluthches on mine P R & N were all "loaded" as if I were standing on the brakes. If you have a free reving neutral wouldnt that rule out rear clutches? Or could all but one clutch be stuck together allowing it to drive forward but slip... ? I dont know just guessing.

I didn't know he was a Goerend dealer but you will be happy with his work. He built our trans a few years back.

In discussion the other day about this, and I haven't went through it in my head yet. Wondering if a clean break on the intermediate would exhibit the same characteristics. Possibly with a welded rear clutch also.

I hate you for even mentioning a broken shaft!!! LMAO

I didn't know he was a Goerend dealer but you will be happy with his work. He built our trans a few years back.

He has come highly recommended in the area. He gave me a decent quote and spoke to Goerend about it already. Plus he is close and as long as I get the Goerend warranty, I'll be happy...provided it holds up well of course. LOL

So have Ya tested the new tranny yet Scott?
I haven't really gotten into mine yet. But it shifts so much nicer than my previous 18 builds lol

I've been talking it easy. It shifts great! Might need a little TV cable adjustment, it seems to shift early, but most Dodges do that. LOL

You said on FB you are talking it back to be rechecked? He didn't say anything to me about that. Although I wouldn't mind...just to be sure everything is where it should be.

Back