Opinions on a turbo like these for pullin 2.8

ILLINOISRAM

INLINE INSANITY
I was goofing off and come across these turbos and was wondering what some of your opinions would be.

This one is a s480 with a 82.2x109.7 compressor wheel and a JD cover but has the same 83.5x74 t4 1.10 tubine wheel and housing as the sx series for 1,496.25$.

Search

This one is a s480 with a 80.3x115.8 compressor wheel and a standard cover(i think) with a 95.9x87.8 turbin wheel and t6 1.32 housing for 1,226.45$

Search

Any opinions on running one of these bushed for the 2.8 class at say schieds. Or what about running them wideopen at brushpulls. Also, how much differance between one of these and a standard s475 for 650$.

Tim

Last edited:
Depending on your cam profile either one would work.

The biggest i could get from scheids without going to a true billet cam because i dont want to have to wait on a machine shop to do my block for this season. I dont actually know what im getting cause Brad said they are not in from the cam grinder yet. He thought they might be ready mid week here. I pulled the motor yesterday and im going to take the pistons and cut them once i get exact specs on how deep to cut them. Rering the pistons and put them right back in.

Non billet cams scare me unless they are something like the big stick. I know I was always worried about breaking my cam, and wiping out the pump and everything else.

Non billet cams scare me unless they are something like the big stick. I know I was always worried about breaking my cam, and wiping out the pump and everything else.

Me too but i was assured it would be fine. I couldnt afford 1800$ for a cam, 700$ for billet flat tappets and whatever machine mork cost to line bore for cam bearings. I can only make so much money right.

I got the cam in now. Looks good. The cam is the same size all the way through compared to the other ones i have seen that are only big right up by the first bearing journal and then get smaller for the rest of it. (the unground parts between the bearing journal)

It was not a regrind but a fresh blank. As soon as the h-11 rod bolts come in i can put the bottom end together and start concentrating on the head and turbo setup.

No love for the GTX model? Throw a TV turbine in there and see how it stacks up with the S400 on the big end of the track.

Smokem, i guess i dont know what turbo youare talking about or what the tv turbin is. So many people have told me different things that i just am not sure what way i would like to go.

Tim

Ever wonder why many pullers say the HX60 is the best 3.0" charger and not an S400? Same reason why in the 6800lb Light Super Class you'll see the alcohol guys running the same chargers as the diesel guys, but not with the same blade count on the turbine.

Everybody pimps the s400, charging crazy prices for chargers.

Smokem, what advantage does the hx60 have over the s400 of comparible size? I don't know much about Holset's and thier advantages and disadvantages. Thanks. -Curtis

Smokem, what advantage does the hx60 have over the s400 of comparible size? I don't know much about Holset's and thier advantages and disadvantages. Thanks. -Curtis

If your looking at HX60s make sure you get one with a Billet comp wheel. The cast ones don't hold up.
The trouble is that drives the price way up. For that kind of money you can buy a better turbo. I said the heck with it and ordered up one from Precision.

Great choice! I got a real trick 2.8" S400 with race cover,and the 87mm turbine on the way from Engineered Diesel. Can't wait to bolt it up.

Back