Opinions on new turbo setup and nitrous for my cr

FIRST GEN. JAKE

I've got a 06 cr currently has a htt 64mm 14cm2 housing with gate, ats 3 piece, aftermarket ic, dual fuelers, injectors, efi blah blah blah. Any ways I'm not a huge fan of the 64. It surges bad, especially hooked to a trailer. My thoughts are going to a steed speed 2nd gen manifold t4 with a s366/73 .91ar and run a external gate on the mani. Was told by a friend a 38mm gate would be enough. Would also like to be able to run a nitrous setup, have looked at the zex diesel setup 50-300 JP setup I believe. What kind of gate would give me the best bang for the buck? Would I be somewhat safe with nitrous for occasional drag strip use? How would the setup handle hooked to a trailer versus what I have now? Any thoughts opinions rude remarks are appreciated ahead of time haha

If you want to use nitrous, keep the smaller charger. It will tow better and drive better, and nitrous will make it rip when you want it to. Just get a nitrous tune, more fuel and less timing. Does that 64 surge when you're WOT, or do you just bark it when you let off alot? What size is the turbine?

it surges pulling a hill empty or loader if you dont keep the rpms pretty high, and it surges sometimes on a wot run untill the toque converter locks, and if i lock it manually sometimes it will snuff it completely out.

My 64/68/14 surges while towing. Worst towing low rpms in OD while trying to climb a hill. Normally around 50 mph. I installed a dp gauge and it told the story. Currently installing a OD off switch since 2005 cr do not have one from the factory....

Sent from my fancy thinking box

Yea I pulled a 10ft trailer with three quads this weekend. It surges it tow haul but I turn my od off it done fine as well

Yea I pulled a 10ft trailer with three quads this weekend. It surges it tow haul but I turn my od off it done fine as well

66's are the SBC350/th350 setup of the diesel world, been around forever, not realy the best, but cheep.

i say look for something better

Well I'm not looking at spending a fortune on a setup. Just more or less curious how the setup would work for towing and would hold up to some nitrous. The biggest down fall to the 64 I have is surge and egt are toasty even running empty.

I'd be more apt to run a 63/68 if you're wanting to go the t4 "cheap" route. If you don't like the 64, the 66 isn't going to be much fun either.

It's not a matter of spooling it. I got plenty of fuel. It's the surging that I don't like and high egt.

Back