Oppinions on Cooper Discoverer STT's or any other good mud tires???

smokin_h

Hope I dont break it!!!
Right now im runnin 35x12.5R18 bfgoodrich mud terrains. I absolutely hate them!!! Ive had them for about a year now and were fine up until about 20,000 miles, there is tons of tread left but I cannot get them to balance at all!!! I take good care of my tires rotate etc...etc...and I dont know what is up but ive given up on these. I am officially tired of hoppin and jumpin all the way down the road. Im now on my second balancing and second alignment. I am lookin at new tires. I love the look, wearability and low road noise of the bfg m/t's but just cant stand em anymore b/c of the balancing issues and horrible ride. I really like the look of the cooper discoverer stt's. How are they holding up, how long do they last, how do they ride and how much road noise is there?? Im up for suggestions on other brands also. I need to do somethin soon before my steering stabilizer takes a crap. Nobody I know has em so im up for anything. My big thing is good to decent wearability and a good ride w/ little balancing issues. I realize were talkin about mud tires but this is ridiculous what mine have started now.
Thanks in advance!!
smokin_h

have you tried using equal in your tires???? it is a powder used inside the tire for balancing. I used equal in my old 36" swampers and it made them go down the road nice. I put it in my 37" kumhos too. It is what they use in big rig tires for balancing. works awesome.

Yep it still doesnt help, plus theres weights all over the rims, the balancing machine at the tire shop walks accross the room dang near, the tire guys cry when they see me come, thanks for the help tho!!
smokin_h

i don't know anybody that has the cooper SST's but i have heard good things about them. Also, I have the kumho m/t's and they go down the road like a set of all terains. quiet, smooth ride and balance perfect. just a little food for thought.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 7
I run Discovery STT and think their a pretty nice tire, quiet, smooth, and the rubber seems to hold up pretty well. Compared to other mud tires i've ran.

have you had them trued? you may have one of the steel belts in the tires coming apart, i have heard of it happening if you rotate them the wrong way.

the guy that does my tires does an awesome job, not many people do it around here any more. he can make a set of 1/2 wore out boggers ride like a Cadillac.

I also run the Kumho MT's in 285.75R16 and like them. I've put about 20K on them and lots of tread left. Coopers on the other hand....I haven't had good luck with them on my trailer so I know I won't ever put them on my truck. All the dang belts break....maybe it is the 12 round bales of hay on the trailer...but I'm still under weight when it figures out. So, like the Kumhos for now. They are still an import but until one of the domestic companies makes a good set that are affordable I guess I'll buy them. I paid $120 each delivered from Jegs.

Attachments

• Mud 2 small.JPG
    Mud 2 small.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
4x4dually said:
I also run the Kumho MT's in 285.75R16 and like them. I've put about 20K on them and lots of tread left. Coopers on the other hand....I haven't had good luck with them on my trailer so I know I won't ever put them on my truck. All the dang belts break....maybe it is the 12 round bales of hay on the trailer...but I'm still under weight when it figures out. So, like the Kumhos for now. They are still an import but until one of the domestic companies makes a good set that are affordable I guess I'll buy them. I paid $120 each delivered from Jegs.

Sure would be nice if i could see th e tire through all that mudLOL

Sorry dude. Here.

And don't buy Goodyear Workhorses. I loved them...'til they cost me $1400 in dammage. The tire didn't blow, it still had 50 psi in it, it just uncapped.

Attachments

• Blownout Tire (Medium).JPG
    Blownout Tire (Medium).JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 285.jpg
    285.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I am running Cooper Discoverer STT's. It's a really good looking tire for sure. Traction is pretty good. There is more road noise than what I had with the BFG All Terrains but that is expected. I have about 20,000 on them and they seem to be holding up well.

good all around tire?

Toyo M55,

problem is that you are limited on sizes, with 285 bein about the biggest. A buddy of mine runs STT's on his truck, and they wear ok for about 25K miles then they grenaded and wore much quicker.... so far im dead set on my toyos tho

10 plies, three on the side, handle loads well, and decent traction which i think is just perfect for my diffs, all i have is a powertrax rear.....

Cant go wrong...

Rick

Back