Original SR5 Toyota 4x4 turbo diesel. What are they worth?

Morse

Diesel
Someone that lives next to me offered to trade me his original Toyota SR5 4x4 turbo diesel in excellent condition. The bed even looks new inside. The interior looks great. It's lifted on 35's. He's in his 60's, but it's his little putt around. He said it gets crazy fuel mileage. Everything including the air works as it should. The one issue it has is that when you go over 45 mph, it begins to run hot. Under 45 it will cruise around all day with the air on and never have a problem. He said only 200 were imported to the US by Toyota. Can anyone give me an idea what it's worth? All help is appreciated.

That's a pretty subjective question. To the right person, it may be worth a bunch of money, but to most people, it's probably not worth much more, if any, than a regular ol' 4 cylinder gas engine Toyota. The problem with niche type vehicles is you have to find the right buyer to exploit the rarity.

They can fetch a pretty penny! I spent 4k just getting the diesel for my fj40 imported!

so it's an 80-83 I am guessing?

I have seen some really nice 1st gen gas 4x4 trucks go for pretty good money on ebay, much more then I would imagine.

I would love to get one and do a TDI swap for a run around truck, guys say they still get 35mpg on 35s with the little trucks.

Someone that lives next to me offered to trade me his original Toyota SR5 4x4 turbo diesel in excellent condition. The bed even looks new inside. The interior looks great. It's lifted on 35's. He's in his 60's, but it's his little putt around. He said it gets crazy fuel mileage. Everything including the air works as it should. The one issue it has is that when you go over 45 mph, it begins to run hot. Under 45 it will cruise around all day with the air on and never have a problem. He said only 200 were imported to the US by Toyota. Can anyone give me an idea what it's worth? All help is appreciated.
We didn't get the turbo model over here in Australia until about 88 from memory, I have an 85 sr5 in my backyard which now has the 2L.T. engine fitted (2L was standard fitment). I probably wouldn't buy it as a daily driver because spare parts are getting hard to come by over here, so are probably even harder for you to find.
Probably the worst feature of these older Toyota's was the temp. gauge, which proved to be unreliable and often resulted in the engine overheating and the head cracking all while the temp needle showed "normal" on the gauge.(obviously an aftermarket gauge fixes this problem)
Fuel mileage averages out at anywhere from 10-14 litres per 100 K (16 mpg to23.5 mpg) depending on how hard one drives them.
If the engine is the later "2LTE" model then I would steer clear of it, as these engines cracked heads every second week, or so it seemed. The 2LTE engine has an electronic injection pump, the earlier and more robust engines have a mechanical pump and no computer. I hope this helps you to decide!

Back