P.o.s. 6.0

DEEREMAX

Since I'm a salesman for a Deere dealership, they gave me a company truck. '05 6.0 eclb 2wd. It had 238,000 when i got it in august of '10. Everything was fine for a couple days til i put a front end loader thru the back glass, $2200 there. But about 4 months ago it started losing power and pouring black smoke from take off then then the turbo would light and it was gone like a scalded a$$ ape. Took it in, they "cleaned" the EGR valve. got it back and it was good for a week or so but still gutless, pouring white to black smoke on take off. Took it back and they replaced the EGR valve, EGR cooler, radiator, intercooler, turbo, and installed a new intake because it was cracked...$9000 (I tried telling my boss it wasn't worth fixing it but he insisted we fix it). Well it ran great for a few weeks, but still at start up it puffs white and if you don't let it warm up and idle for 10-15 mins it just falls on its face. After its warm it runs like a champ, but until then it just sounds like a sick dog. Its now got 278,000 on the odometer. Anyone got an idea whats doing on here? I'm not a ford person so i haven't a clue. Sorry for the novel.

Last edited:
A bad FICM would most likely start/run fine when cold and lose power/shut down when the motor warms up. By your description it sounds like tired injectors.

It doesn't matter if its 30 degrees or 80 degress outside, it starts rough and is gutless until it warms up. No mods, its all stock. Mechanic at the shop we took it to said the engine had been apart sometime before, because you could see socket marks on alot of the bolts.

The $2200 was for more than just a rear window, it got the cab and the bed as well.

DSCF0343.jpg

This truck's been to hell and back a few times. Its been rolled on its passenger side (way before i got it), loader through the back, engine problems, tranny issues (before i got it), and most recently i took out a nice 4-point with it and had the whole front-clip replaced along with oil coolers. While it was in the shop for that i told them to put some tires on it, they found the rear wheel bearings out. I told him also to take a look at the rear end cause i had felt a vibration...he said if i would have driven another tank of fuel, the pinion would have locked up it was so worn and the bearings were out. I know it doesn't seem like it, but i do my best to take care of this truck as if it was my own.

Check FICM voltage. If that checks out then your injectors are gone. Try some Rev-X. It usually helps a lot.

Ive replaced three ficm's and fixed hard starts, blowing white smoke, running like crap for about the first 10 to 15 mins then running fine. Ive found the voltage below the 48volts when cold,then as it warms up it comes back to 48volts and runs fine. These were 05s and a 06. all 3 have been running great for the last 6 months so thats got to be good for a 6.0..lol

Check FICM voltage. If that checks out then your injectors are gone. Try some Rev-X. It usually helps a lot.

i will agree with this

It doesn't matter if its 30 degrees or 80 degress outside, it starts rough and is gutless until it warms up. No mods, its all stock. Mechanic at the shop we took it to said the engine had been apart sometime before, because you could see socket marks on alot of the bolts.

The $2200 was for more than just a rear window, it got the cab and the bed as well.

DSCF0343.jpg

This truck's been to hell and back a few times. Its been rolled on its passenger side (way before i got it), loader through the back, engine problems, tranny issues (before i got it), and most recently i took out a nice 4-point with it and had the whole front-clip replaced along with oil coolers. While it was in the shop for that i told them to put some tires on it, they found the rear wheel bearings out. I told him also to take a look at the rear end cause i had felt a vibration...he said if i would have driven another tank of fuel, the pinion would have locked up it was so worn and the bearings were out. I know it doesn't seem like it, but i do my best to take care of this truck as if it was my own.

wow................

If the FICM voltage shows the FICM to be bad, then send the FICM to FICMRepair.com. It is a LOT cheaper than a remanned unit from Ford (they are all remanufactured now), and they do a quality job - Around $250 to $300 instead of $800+ at the dealesrhip.

Just had mine done at FICMrepair.com and ed is a great guy and they use quality parts and quality solder. If you buy one from ford be prepared for it to go back out in 12 months due to the crappy ford lead-free solder. Just to clarify what someone said earlier. A crapped FICM will run fine when warm. 48 is kind of a magic number for these motors. Above 48 degrees the amp draw is a lot lower. In saying that it would run like crap while cold and may even exhibit bad injector codes. Once it warms up that will go away...sure sign of bad FICM. Test the FICM and load test the batteries. low batteries kill FICMS

Well it finally crapped out completely. Went to crank it monday morning and all it did was crank, no fire. Loaded it up and took it to a shop. I told my boss a while back what the problem was but he said if it'll start and run don't phuck with it. Well now that its finally crapped out i told him to let us take the FCIM out here and send it off to Ed, but still he insisted we send it to a "professional" shop and blew me off like i didn't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground. It was the FCIM and now he's having to pay a good chunk to have it repaired and is blaming me for it.

Thanks everybody for the earlier input.

Well it finally crapped out completely. Went to crank it monday morning and all it did was crank, no fire. Loaded it up and took it to a shop. I told my boss a while back what the problem was but he said if it'll start and run don't phuck with it. Well now that its finally crapped out i told him to let us take the FCIM out here and send it off to Ed, but still he insisted we send it to a "professional" shop and blew me off like i didn't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground. It was the FCIM and now he's having to pay a good chunk to have it repaired and is blaming me for it.

I'd be shopping for a new boss (job)

yes there ya go just install the new "smart boss 2.0" program and you are good to go :) life is too short to work for dumb people

Back