picked up an 06 TDI jetta.

theonlyz

professional he** raiser
Got a good deal on an 06 auto but, what I have been reading is they are not a good choice for modding. What is everyones thought on them? What mods work the best for more pep? Sounds like a chip or computer re-program is the best so who has the best tune or program out there? Also where can i get a good set of injectors to run with the stock turbo.. All inputs would be great. I really cant keep anything stock and the whole VW thing is new to me. So please point me in some direction..

Is yours a 4 or 5 speed auto, or the dsg transmission?

I assume you're mechanically inclined, so before you do ANYTHING, pull off the valve cover. Carefully examine the camshaft lobes and lifters. The unit injection engines have cams that have the wrong ramp rates ground on them from the factory. Consequently, they like to eat cams and lifters. The fix is a new set of lifters and sending the cam off to Colt Cams to be reground with the correct ramp rates. Regrinding runs $275. Your engine also requires a special oil, make sure you use it.

Now, onto making it faster;

A tune will be the biggest bang for your buck. Stock injectors are actually quite good and the turbo will max out before the injectors.

Any CAI is pointless so don't waste your money. Wack off the muffler and if the car is for "off road use only", pull the dp out and gut the cat or put an aftermarket dp on. You'll have lots of turbo whistle :woohoo: The egr is usually deleted in the tune also, so the whole egr cooler assembly can come off.

yes, I can find my way around an engine and so on. The transmission I have is a 6sp auto so is that the dsg? What the heck was VW thinking putting a poorly ground cam in? There are no recalls for this?

So where is the best place to get a tune and egr delete from? I planned on doing a full exhaust, whats a good size 2.5?

another question mine is still under warranty. If the dealer replaces the cam under warrenty wont it fix the problem or just re-occur later

Yeah, the 6 speed is the dsg. It's a decent tranny. Just change the fluid and filter every 40k.

VW wasn't thinking when they ground the cam and won't admit fault on it either. They just say you used the wrong oil. No recall either.

Best place to get a tune is from Rocketchip. You can either mail your computer to him or meet him in person at a get together. Runs right around $300.

2.5" is more than enough. I'd say just wack off the muffler and gut the cat. That'll be plenty. Larger dp's are pointless with the stock turbo.

If the dealer fixes the problem under warranty, they'll put the same wrong ground cam in that'll fail again later. So you're better off doing it yourself anyway with the regrind from Colt.

I agree with Rocketchip. Dont worry about injectors, as mentioned you'll have to upgrade the turbo before injectors.
Word is VW knows about the cam and there is an "upgraged" version out now. If you do your own oil changes make sure you use the 505.01 oil in case you do have a cam issue. Make sure you also keep record (reciepts) of the oil changes.
IMO and others the 505.01 isn't the end all of all oils. There are documents of people having cam failures at lets say 70K. They used 505.01 oil the entire time. When the swaped the cam out, they switch to Mobil 1 TDT and 100K+ later the cam still looks new.
I have an 05 with the same motor and the came still look good at the last oil change, 105K.

ok thanks for all the input. At least now I have some kind direction to head in. Whats out there for upgraded turbos? In all reality I'd like to be sitting right around the stock power of a 2.0T The oil changes are part of the sale from the dealer so thats not something I have to really worry about.

I agree with Rocketchip. Dont worry about injectors, as mentioned you'll have to upgrade the turbo before injectors.
Word is VW knows about the cam and there is an "upgraged" version out now. If you do your own oil changes make sure you use the 505.01 oil in case you do have a cam issue. Make sure you also keep record (reciepts) of the oil changes.
IMO and others the 505.01 isn't the end all of all oils. There are documents of people having cam failures at lets say 70K. They used 505.01 oil the entire time. When the swaped the cam out, they switch to Mobil 1 TDT and 100K+ later the cam still looks new.
I have an 05 with the same motor and the came still look good at the last oil change, 105K.
Thanks for the input, I had not heard yet that VW finally recognized the problem and had an upgraded part number. Every pd I've put a cam in has always gotten a Colt stage 2 as the owners wanted an upgrade anyway.

The last 4 cars I've put cams in, the dealers denied warranty coverage because the owners did their own oil changes and didn't have every single receipt. Which is bs anyway because I agree with all the people that have switched to amsoil or mobil 1 TDT with perfect engines after 125+K. The 505.01 is definitely not a miracle oil.

ok thanks for all the input. At least now I have some kind direction to head in. Whats out there for upgraded turbos? In all reality I'd like to be sitting right around the stock power of a 2.0T The oil changes are part of the sale from the dealer so thats not something I have to really worry about.
Upgraded turbo's are a pain in the ass for your car. There's only one company that offers them, but their reliability record in the past was terrible. Supposedly, the company turned things around, but I don't have experience with any of their new turbo's as of late to comment on. Otherwise, you can always build a header and put some really cool vnt's from other engines on there as I do.

The stock turbo will get you to 150whp and ~250wtq which is a good amount of scoot. It'll be enough to cause traction problems in first and second gear. Get a tune, delete the egr, open up the exhaust, and get a boost and egt gauge. A CAI isn't needed as these actually have a good intake from the factory.

so the dam turbo is holding me back. What company are you speaking of? This is one that I found that looks promising
Product Details

I heard that there are little to no choices out there for turbos. So Im going to be stuck at 150 for HP? was hoping to see 200, oh well i guess. What are 2.0T's running to the wheels for power anyone know thought it was like 200 or 220? At what horse power do the stock injectors run out of power? Who makes a well put together egr delete thats not a hack job and what kind of mounting options do I have for gauges seeing as how I can do an a pillar?

i have a 18/56 turbo from Kerma TDI, it has very little lag and is a very nice piece. i have only had it for a few months but i really like it.

wow that thing isnt exactly cheap.....then again nothing is on these. Definetly going to do some more research on them!! What injectors will get me to 200hp to the wheels and will that be reliable?
thanks a ton guys, this is all very new to me. Definetly not a cummins.

wow that thing isnt exactly cheap.....then again nothing is on these. Definetly going to do some more research on them!! What injectors will get me to 200hp to the wheels and will that be reliable?
thanks a ton guys, this is all very new to me. Definetly not a cummins.
Things aren't super expensive for these, but they're not super cheap either. If you buy a set of twins for a cummins, it's what, $3500+?

A set of R783 injector nozzles will make 200+whp but you're going to have transmission problems much before that. Since you have a dsg trans (which is very expensive and harder to modify), my suggestion would be to keep stock injectors and maybe a bigger turbo at most. You'll be quite surprised on how much just the tune on a stock car will do.

If you insist on pushing towards 200whp, talk to APR Tuning about the dsg trans. I think they have a tcm reflash that would help the trans last. They're the experts with them in the vw gasser world.

should of picked up a manual car. there a lot easier to modify. plus the dsg costs $$$$$ a lot to maintain. it isnt your typical auto tranny

Ya well its (aka) my wifes car. No biggy i have more than enough in the truck.

Ok im at 5O k with my 06 DSG.

I went to a local German car shop and they said not to change the tranny fluid that it was synthetic and just a waiste of money to change it. I know there is a hose with fittings involved from VW around $40, but whats involved with the VAG-COM? I would be happy to buy the hose deal and try this but if the VAG is needed to make the car drivable then im screwed. Also Im using Amsoil european blend that is 505.01 is this the best one or are people using a diffrent amsoil?

So ready to dump this car. Not enough room for a fatty like me and its like pulling teeth to get any info on it. I have owned a A5 for 5 years and know zero about them havent even changed the air filter to after market.

VAG-COM can be had fairly cheap if you can get one of the $10 cables from ebay to work properly, the software itself is a free download, they just charge an arm and a leg for the cable. I have never looked into the service on the DSG tranny, do not own one so no need but it all comes down to making the computer in the car happy. A Bentley manual should tell you everything you need to know.

Back