Plastic CFM intake life?

RonA

How long are they supposed to last? I figure most plastic stuff will eventually break so I'm curious if i should consider replacing mine. It's been in 3 or 4 years so far. I'd hate to have it shatter.
Thanks.

If your worried replace it. I've heard the bad castings break pretty quick and the good castings will last. But replacing it would be a good peace of mind.

However, if you have one that has lasted 3-4 years....you probably have one without fractures that may fail. If you put on a new one.....the risks actaully probably goes up. $.02

I had one that I bought new ran for 4 or 5 years. I believe I bought it in 08.

Running a used one of my 03 CR had it on there for 3 years or so.

Never had any issues with them other than I can see wear it got hot from the grid heater on the 03. There is some slight bubbling of the plastic close to the base on one corner.

However, if you have one that has lasted 3-4 years....you probably have one without fractures that may fail. If you put on a new one.....the risks actaully probably goes up. $.02

Good point. If I ever buy a new one I'll hook it up to shop air and pressure test it a few times real good like.

I had multiple people steer me away from them because "it's not rare for them to blow up on trucks running 60psi or more".

I like the stock air horn, it has all the bling of a custom cast factory painted aluminum part, costs nothing, and is strong enough to handle 100+ psi boost.

how much boost are you throwing at it, Ron?

It used to see around mid 70's max, but has been mid 60's since the swap. There are a number of changes taking place that may take it back up to the 70's or even close to 80. It's hard to say till I run it. I'd like to take another shot at Dmitri sometime if I can make a trip over his way later this year. He owes me a beer and I owe him a re-match.

I have to take the pump off shortly to have Kevin look at it, so while he's doing that would be a good time to make a simple intake for it. I have to remove it to take the pump off anyway.

Back