Plastic dip on wheels for winter?

Chris Mallett

12ver Swap Idiot
I am wondering if plastic dip (or whatever y'all are calling it) would protect my chrome wheels for winter abuse, or would it have issues of holding moisture and cause more damage? I have minimal pits in them now, and the last 2 winters I keep them soaked in WD-40, seems to do the trick of keeping salt from pitting them more. Not sure if to try something new, or keep up with what I have been doing.

I am wondering if plastic dip (or whatever y'all are calling it) would protect my chrome wheels for winter abuse, or would it have issues of holding moisture and cause more damage? I have minimal pits in them now, and the last 2 winters I keep them soaked in WD-40, seems to do the trick of keeping salt from pitting them more. Not sure if to try something new, or keep up with what I have been doing.

I know several people that have done it with good luck. I'm planning on doing it as well for the first time.

There's a thread on another forum about this. Some claim to have had this stuff on their bumpers and wheels the duration of several winters with no issues. A touch up here and there but they say it held up very well, and when spring comes, you can peel it right off your wheels.

Have a link to said thread? My fear is that a hole in the dip allows "salt" water to get in, and more damage is done since you cannot see it happening. Peel it away and cry. I may be incorrect.

I love the stuff! I'm indecisive so I spray it and if I don't like it, or I get tire of it, it peels right off! :rockwoot:

I just got done my set of stock 3rd gen dodge wheels in flat black. They look fairly decent. Just cleaned them off real good and sprayed them. Used 1 can for each wheel. Gonna see how they last through the winter

Last edited:
Back