polishing SS

95ram

Can any one tell me where to get stuff to buff and polish SS. I'm not talking about polishing a set of wheels. I'm looking to buff/polish and finisha piece. I'm hoping to find something that attachs to a drill. I dont want to buy a buffer.

Good luck with a drill. Stainless is very hard and needs high speeds to buff properly. Start out with 3m pads to cut down alot of time. 3-4 with a bolt through them and chucked in a drill will work ok. Then just use cotton buffing wheels with a very heavy cut compound and work down to a polishing compound. The link is a buffing supply website I have used, and have good descriptions of what to use.

http://www.tptools.com/d/76_Buffing-Detailing.html

Please enlighten me too (the same guy who posted how to buff a paint job:hehe:).

I have a rather large Charbroil SS grill and I bluffed my way through compounding a side using a high speed, high rpm buffer with a heavy cutting compound pad and Presta Ultra Cutting Creme. Notice I didn't even use a traditional polish used on automotive coatings! I simply one stepped it. I don't have a photo with me at the moment but the one spot I tried does look like a mirror.

However, I would like some insight on this topic myself because I know my way isn't the best .....thanks!

out of high school... I worked at a plating shop and polished on big production polishing wheels all day.

a very dangerous job! folks walking around less a finger.

polishing is simply progressively grinding to a finer finish. this is done by using different grades of abrasives.... then progressing to different grades of polishing compounds.

you'd never want to use a courser abrasive than the finish that currently on finish you are working on.

for finishes that's already mirror to start with... but hazy... use plain ole chrome polish. forget about the drill motor... use good ole fashion muscle..

Back