Possible ih block cast mark?

M249cummins

I believe this motor is a 96-97 12v, building it for a 800hp puller. While cleaning it I noticed this mark, it's an IH block correct? Also are England rods different in the manufacturing process than USA rods?

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 0
Had this exact same block in my 98 12 valve. IH block and England rods, two oil return ports as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious about the England rods as well, as I still have them and if they aren't terrible I'd like to use them if I ever get around to building another short block, as $3000 for billet is just never going to be in the budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The England, USA, Brazil, and Mexico rods are all pretty much the same. I have heard the Japan rods aren't quite as good but still 1000+ HP capable.

That is a USA/IH casting block, good find! They say they are stronger with more nickle content. I have blown up both USA and Brazil blocks :hehe:

The England, USA, Brazil, and Mexico rods are all pretty much the same. I have heard the Japan rods aren't quite as good but still 1000+ HP capable.

That is a USA/IH casting block, good find! They say they are stronger with more nickle content. I have blown up both USA and Brazil blocks :hehe:

What power were you?

I just build one of those IH blocks myself. Came with a cracked brazil head. Had to find a USA head to match the block.

What power were you?

I burned a camshaft into a block from too much spring pressure on a USA block, then did the same on a Brazil block before discovering what the problem was.

Currently running on year 4 of my USA cast IH block at roughly 1000ish HP in my 2.6/3.0 truck. Filled, bored .040 over

unfortunately I got it with a brand spanking new head that is a Chinese reman, has about 10 minutes of runtime on it. didn't come with the original head.

Taking it to Wagler Comp before I head to work. torque plate hone the cylinders, deck the block if needed, line hone the mains, remove the intake shelf off the head, o-ring the head.

people seem to be iffy about using a Chinese head but its what I got, its new and I have no actual proof why not to use it, I'm going to use it.

A buddy of mine ran a cheap china head for about a year on a strong running street truck 12v, he blew the head gasket and pulled it, I know they all crack but that head was the worse I've seen. Almost looked like shattered glass around the injector holes to the seats.

I would recommend installing cam bushings all the way thru the block.

Back