Possible TIPM issues, wondering if anyone else has seen this

bdp

beans diesel performance
Local brought in a truck keeps throwing a cam position circuit code. They already changed the sensor and Dodge told them they needed an ECM. Looking at the scanner you can hold it at 1500rpms and the crank reading will stay steady but cam will go from 1500 to over 3000rpms intermitantly. Being that its jumping in rpm not dropping I too think it must be an ECM so I got another ecm programmed it and same thing.

So I am laying under the truck and start hearing a wierd noise from the middle of the truck, its the transfer case going in and out of 4wd (electric). Key is off and out and selector is to 2wd, turn key on it stops cycling, turn it off it starts cycling again.

So the transfer case thing I am thinking maby the TIPM is going nuts but not sure if the cam signal can be messed with by the TIPM but if it can be could be the whole issue.

Anyone else seen this?

did the customer recently install and extra lighting or pull a trailer with a big lighting load ?

How bout unplugging the 4x shifter..... still get the same code / symptoms ?

Is the tone ring missing any teeth ?

Its the cam sensor so it has no teeth, just holes in the back side of the gear.

No idea about previous owner these guys are a car dealer and they bought it from an auction.

I seen the same t-case issue a few weeks ago when I put a rebuilt engine in an 07. I fought the whole security system reset for hours before I figured out it was the transmission plug-in near the brake booster wasnt fully plugged in tight.. It was also throwing an engine light but I cant recall what codes it set. It would be worth checking into.

Your cel was probably trans codes if it wasnt plugged in good.

Was the t-case cycling with the key off? This one was goin nuts and the key ws no where even close the the ign.

Check all the grounds, make sure there tight. one other is wire rubbing somwhere in the harness, causeing a short

Your cel was probably trans codes if it wasnt plugged in good.

Was the t-case cycling with the key off? This one was goin nuts and the key ws no where even close the the ign.

yes it was cyclying with the key off.

Mine does that also. It doesn't last to long with the noise under it though. I always have the cam position sensor code kicked on. I must have a short or something as well my rail pressure keeps jumping around and runs like crap sometimes because of it. I wiggled the wires behind the cp3 pumps and it ran fine but light stayed on. The dealer also told me the fuse box under hood was going bad to maybe thats it.

Back