Power Steering trouble

smoken02

Jumped in my truck tonight to leave work and no power steering. The truck had been warming up in the parking lot for about ten mins. Is this not right?

It also leaked a bunch of oil sitting there and then never leaked again.

Leaked a bunch of oil, quit leaking, and now no power steering. Sounds like it's out of fluid. I'd see if I can't find the leak somewhere.

Last edited:
That would do it, sounds like the bottom seal blew out due to cold weather and thick fluid IMHO.

Bottom seal as in where the Pitman arm attaches? Mine does same thing for last month or so, I just keep filling it when the armstrong steering comes back.

Sorry I should have explained a little better. A couple weeks ago I had no power steering for a while until my truck warmed up. No leaks. Then the other day it did the same thing but leaked a bunch of oil on the ground. Once the truck warmed up a little the steering was fine. It has worked just fine ever since. I was just wondering if the extreme cold would cause the power steering to not work or if somthing else was wrong.

Have you ever flushed the power steering system? Sounds like a good time to do so.

You might want to look into the hydroboost unit for the brakes. There is a small canister in it that is pressurized to help you stop the truck if you loose the power steering. When it fails it pushes pressurized nitrogen into the power steering system and causes the leak out of the cap. You can usually work out the air but I would double check the hydroboost unit to make sure you can stop the truck if the engine is off. When your moving and you cut the engine you should be able to stop the truck after a few pumps. If you hit the pedal and its rock hard then you could have a problem.

Also check out this thread
http://www.nwbombers.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29953&hl=power+steering

Ok can I use normal power steering fluid from autozone, or is it special for hydroboost?

I've been using regular..

DO NOT use Lucas stopleak.. This stuff is like molassas when it's 70*.
Went to back out of my driveway in 16* weather and could not turn the wheel.. :hehe:

I just dumped in a whole bottle of fluid. I figured when the abs and brake light was on constant it was in need.

And if you overfilled it, the leak you might not have had before? Well, you have it now LOL There are marks on the dipstick for a reason.

With the amount of fluid that leaked out and the amount that spilled out of the bottle on my backseat its not full.

smoken02 said:
With the amount of fluid that leaked out and the amount that spilled out of the bottle on my backseat its not full.

Ooooooffff...that stuff doesn't wash out easy either :bang

Back