Powerstroke Christmas Present

Bersaglieri

Ron Swanson's Brother
Well it's that time of year again and I'll be getting my girl something for her truck for Christmas. Here's what she's got:

2003 F350 CC/SB 4WD 7.3L 250k or so
4" SS Exhaust
Homemade CAI
Some kind of chip, not sure which but the truck has got some power and will puff some smoke off idle, then clean it up.
Aftermarket converter of some sort.

She claims she's got enough power and all she would need is gauges, although she won third in a truck pull in New England [low standards I know] and I think she may be getting the bug. So in the spirit of my excessiveness, I think I might buy her gauges and something extra for power.

I was just going to buy an Edge Juice w/Attitude since it could be "stacked" with the current mystery chip [possibly banks due to a sticker on the tailgate] and also cover the gauge requirement. Her only stipulation on gauges is not losing the drivers side grab handle. An edge on my LB7 I used to own worked good although after looking here it seems the edge for a 7.3L isn't getting favorable reviews.

So, I was thinking of a standard style boost and EGT gauge setup, possibly the kind that mounts in the gauge cluster area, then buying one of these multi-position chips that seem so popular I've seen TS, DP tuner, and a few others. Is it true that some of these chips can increase line pressure or benefit the transmissions longevity in any way? She gets 17-19mpg which is pretty good, but if an economy tune could boost it even more that would be ideal. This truck is our long trip, dirve to town, grocery getter vehicle so it must be reliable. She would seldom use a 140 or 160hp crazy tune since we couldn't afford to spit a rod or something during a trip. I know she'd enjoy a smoke tune since she has mentioned wanting her truck to smoke like mine, just for fun. A couple safe power tunes that wouldn't risk the bottom end or put the motor at risk would be nice. The TS looks like a good out of the box unit, but I hear folks saying it's too "off the shelf".

She gets an occasional over boost code as it is, isn't there some kind of boost fooler or something for these trucks?

If I'm missing something please let me know, share some ideas on the setup, or suggestions. I'm a Cummins guy, so my knowledge on powerstrokes is limited. Please post links, websites, prices, etc so I can track this stuff down in time for Christmas.

-Dustin-

Last edited:
Tony Wildman (or dp or beans or swamps or gearhead etc, etc lol) tunes on a TS chip! It will override whatever is already on there, and yes it is a lot better than canned tuning for the trans. ITP sells a boost fooler.

Thanks for the info man, I'll be honest though I was expecting more than one reply. Any good powerstroke sites I could do some research on?

-Dustin-

Thanks for the info man, I'll be honest though I was expecting more than one reply. Any good powerstroke sites I could do some research on?

-Dustin-

PowerstrokeNation.com for some good PSD info.

On your mods, stay away from the EDGE products.

A good custom burnt chip would be a nice upgrade along with the gauges.

~Beans (site sponsor)
~Swamps (site sponsor)
~Diesel Innovations (site sponsor)
~Gearhead Automotive Performance (the chip im running)

It all depends on how much $$ you are willing to spend.

As far as turbo upgrades, you can get into a new GTP38R ball bearing drop in for around $1600. I like mine alot. Works well with stock injectors too.

Or a Regulated Return Fuel System (Diesel Innovations) is a really nice upgrade as well.

Good Luck!

If it doesn't have it already, get this: 4R100 Sonnax Valve Tricumulator kit

About the best $40 you can spend on a 7.3. Makes the shifts nice and firm and helps the trans last longer. I survived on that and an aftermarket converter for a long time with my orange truck, and that was on 37's at about 450rwhp and pounding the crap out of it.

As for a chip, read Farm Boy's post. All great 7.3 tuners and they can modify the tunes to your liking and change them up as you ad more mods.

I poked around the net and looked at the different chips around. I ended up speaking with Diesel Innovations. The folks there answered alot of my questions when we were looking for her truck and were helpful with all kinds of information after the purchase. The chip lists at $399 for a 4 position and $469 for 6. Not bad compared to some that are in the 600-700 range. Especially since we don't need 200hp or anything crazy like that.

Looks like I'll need one of these boost foolers and some gauges. I can't put them on the pillar, any tips or recommendations on other areas?

-Dustin-

I poked around the net and looked at the different chips around. I ended up speaking with Diesel Innovations. The folks there answered alot of my questions when we were looking for her truck and were helpful with all kinds of information after the purchase. The chip lists at $399 for a 4 position and $469 for 6. Not bad compared to some that are in the 600-700 range. Especially since we don't need 200hp or anything crazy like that.

Looks like I'll need one of these boost foolers and some gauges. I can't put them on the pillar, any tips or recommendations on other areas?

-Dustin-

They sell individual cup mounts, double and tripe dashboard mounts, steering column mounts, etc... DI should be able to get you something for that also. And ask him about the trans kit I linked earlier. :poke: Don't mention my name though, he might charge you more. :hehe:

Back