Problem with Snow stage 3MPG MAx

Extended Power

Ok, long story short, I bought a used Snow Stage 3MPG MAX, and had to replace the controller.
So now, I have a brand new controller, instructions etc.

I hook up the wiring as per the instruction manual, BUT, I did not hook up the second stage solenoid, just the first stage. (I wanted to cool down the temps as I drove to work, and gain some mpg.)

Set the pump to start injecting at 5 psi, and max out at 30 psi. Did not seem to help at all. The display would cycle between the "Snow Performance" screen, and the Boost, EGT, Injection rate screen, indicating that it was injecting at a 40% rate while I was driving.

After 3 hours of driving...twice, so 6 hours of driving, I check the tank...it's still full. WTF???

Hook up an air line to the boost line, and simulated 50 psi boost, this sent the injection rate to 100%, and the "Power Mode" to come on as well.

Checked for power at the pump, I only got 6.7 vdc. (Fluke 87)

Pull a battery off the shelf, measure 12.7 vdc, and hooked the pump and solenoid to it...works fine.

What is wrong with the brand new controller? All connections were soldered, and shrink wrapped.

I have the pump, and first solenoid hooked to the "WHITE" wire from the controller, while the "Green" second stage "Power Mode" wire is bent back and taped until I install the second stage.

Thinking that maybe the controller was pulling too many amps from the fuse box, I ran a temporary wire straight from the battery "+" to the inline fuse, then to the rocker switch, and tried it again...same output from the controller.

.....Anyone???

Spoke with Grant in the TECH dept. at Snow Performance.
Going to send the controller back, and let them have a look at it. He said they would send out a new one.

Excellent customer service...he even called me back!!!

i have to agree they do have awsome customer service. i ordered a pump from them not to long ago because i had one that crapped out ad they upgraded me to a 220psi pump and gave me 25% off because it crapped out. very friendly helpful service!

I am pretty sure this problem is solved. If my memory is correct Extended Power found the problem and of all things it was a faulty "arm" switch. Let me know if I am wrong. Also let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Grant

I am pretty sure this problem is solved. If my memory is correct Extended Power found the problem and of all things it was a faulty "arm" switch. Let me know if I am wrong. Also let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Grant

Yes!!

Thanks Grant!
Everything works perfect now!!!
Got to use it for towing the trailer into the mountains, and it worked great.
-Should of added another stage to the rear axel bearing of the trailer though...

Last edited:
Back