Project X Beetle gets a TDI roll cage

COMP461

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Well to pass tech at some of the different venues, we intend on running we needed a roll cage. The material is .1 5/8 .083 Chromemolly.
Charlie did a fantastic job on the fabrication. The car is so much stiffer, with tying the front and rear suspension together. The new head liner and interior is going back in, and the cage looks to almost be invisible from the outside.

We will be putting energy absorbing padding on the cage where the drivers head can come in contact with the bars. This is per NHRA SFI spec’s .

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

he busted his butt on it . we are now legal down to 8.50 .

Is it even gonna go sub 11.50 to need the cage...outside of Pikes Peak anyway ?

At Bonneville it will, but it needed a roll bar at 11.50 and with a roll bar the tubing size was 1 3/4. If you go with a cage, it only takes 1 5/8.
I fully expect it to get quite a bit faster.

yes , this is where the frame rolls up , its plated off . I think that I want a bar across the two points

It may be the angle of the pic but that looks way to high to intersect anything real strong. As far as that chassis is concerned anyway.

that is the top of the strut tower , I do plan on extending a bar down to the front of the trailing arm

Greggles, are you gonna make it out to PDX for tdifest? Saturday, 8am the gates open at Woodburn.

I'll bet that he doesn't. He didn't make Pikes Peak and I just got off the salt and did not see a yellow bug there either. Besides, there would be way too much competition there for the comp. He only shows up at venues where he is the only one in his class.:bs:

So drive 4000 miles round trip, for a half day drag race. One day proves nothing. Spend 5 days at 5 different tracks, all the while driving 1500 miles to with no support, that’s proof.
I’m going to Hot Rod Drag Week , next week, I have been busy doing development work on the ALH valvetrain I have the prototypes done and on the engine, dual springs Titanium retainers , locator cups and stainless intake valves , inconel Exhaust valves , harden bead loc keepers . The ALH head wants .500 + lift when ported right. We have picked up the head almost 70% over stock flow

IMAG0119.jpg

We'll see..... We'll see..... Greg, You show up at events where you are the only tdi and all you can say is you have a fast tdi.... Not the fastest.....
So sad for you.

Hey Nick, do you have any more of those cast manifolds? If you do, and they arent drilled, they work quite well with those gtb2260vk turbos!

Charlie did a awesome Job of the roll cage …..
This is a picture as the interior is reinstalled

rollcage.jpg

I’m going to Hot Rod Drag Week , next week, I have been busy doing development work on the ALH valvetrain I have the prototypes done and on the engine, dual springs Titanium retainers , locator cups and stainless intake valves , inconel Exhaust valves , harden bead loc keepers . The ALH head wants .500 + lift when ported right. We have picked up the head almost 70% over stock flow

Guess you decided not to show at drag week either????? I know you hear me Greggles.
head_in_the_sand.jpg

Back