Pump timing...is this correct?

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
I am helping a guy install and time his pump Saturday, he said its coming from the pump builder pinned at 0°.

If I find TDC then back it up 30° and install the pump there it will be timed at 30° correct?

Now if the motor doesn't have an ATI dampner the only way to tell how many degrees I roll the motor back will be multiplying the actual diameter of the damper by Pi (3.1415 etc), dividing that number by 360, then multiply by the number of degrees I want to move the crank. that will give me a measurement in inches of how far the marker on the damper needs to move.

How accurate is this method? im in a bind because I don't have a timing light to verify, and this is a 13mm pump so i cant set it by plunger lift.

I am helping a guy install and time his pump Saturday, he said its coming from the pump builder pinned at 0°.

If I find TDC then back it up 30° and install the pump there it will be timed at 30° correct?

Now if the motor doesn't have an ATI dampner the only way to tell how many degrees I roll the motor back will be multiplying the actual diameter of the damper by Pi (3.1415 etc), dividing that number by 360, then multiply by the number of degrees I want to move the crank. that will give me a measurement in inches of how far the marker on the damper needs to move.

How accurate is this method? im in a bind because I don't have a timing light to verify, and this is a 13mm pump so i cant set it by plunger lift.

?????????
Brandon

You basically got it right TJ. Just be sure that the pump is locked at spill port closure...I assume this is what's meant by timing set at 0.

i do not know, the guy asked me to help him and said its coming from the builder pinned at 0

Mount the pump on the engine, remove the #1 DV holder and DV, look in the top to see if the spill port is closed, if it's closed proceed as you described, if it's not closed, set the engine at the degree you want the pump timed, (30 degrees) unpin the pump and rotate it forward until the spill port is closed by the top of the plunger, tighten the gear and you're done.

The fuel shut off needs to be in the run position to properly see when the spill port closes, you should also have the pump case pressurized with fuel and use fuel leakage as an indicator to port closure, however this can get ugly (fuel squirting everywhere in a short order) so I prefer the visual method, a small light is a great help.

your math is correct and you have the right idea.

I took a small piece of heavy stock paper and measured out markings at 25 - 30* and then taped that to the dampener at TDC. I left one of the bolts for the CPS on for a timing marker. Now it's really easy to adjust.

Just don't forget to unpin the pump when you go to torque the pump bolt up. All that work and little plastic parts in the pump aren't much fun.

TDC the pump and TDC the motor and back it up 2 1/2 inches.....don't over think it, example 9.25 dia x 3.1416 divided by 360 times degrees....calculator will tell you the amount.....if you don't trust the pump guy put a dial indicator on it.

Jim

i have not seen the truck yet, i might get lucky and find it has an ATI dampner on it, but im just covering my bases so saturday morning im not standing there scratching my head.

their is timming tape available through cummins or bosch it usually commes with about 4 or 5 different tapes for diff dia balancer's

TDC the pump and TDC the motor and back it up 2 1/2 inches.....don't over think it, example 9.25 dia x 3.1416 divided by 360 times degrees....calculator will tell you the amount.....if you don't trust the pump guy put a dial indicator on it.

Jim

I found that 1" of movement on the factory balancer is right about 12-13* so that is real close to what you mentioned for the 2 1/2 inches. I did this using our light and more or less just playing around so if ever faced with a emergency type situation at a track, we could get close to where we need.

Back