Questions on Tunes

BC06PSD

Hairless Cat Aficionado
I am interested in purchasing a SCT for my 06 6.0 Ford. I saw on your website that I can get the SCT plus tunes for a fair price. Before I order it from your site I wanted to know what tunes you recommend, there are so many to chose from.

My truck is stock except muffler delete and I am currently running a Flashpaq. I don't plan on restudding my truck or putting in an upgraded transmission. I don't have an EGT gauge. I tow my 12k lbs travel trailer and thats about it. I've had zero problems with my truck running the flashpaq. I just want a little more power.

I want one tune for towing safely, one for mileage, and the maximum safe power tune for my set up. What do you recommend?

Thanks for taking the time reading this.:thankyou2:

I don't reccommend using any tune when towing unless its just a tranny tune or exhaust break tune which DJ @ DJdieselperformance has and those are great tunes for towing.
The street extreme tune is wicked fast and safe without studing the heads but do not use this tune without gauges... you will hit high EGTS with this tune as well as boost. Also with this tune, don't hammer it all the time as it will shorten the life of your tranny as will any tune if you hammer on it constantly. They also have a nice economy tune that has pretty good pep without being to harsh for dayly use.
I would also say to open up that exhaust flow a bit more.

Last edited:
I would say get a REAL exhaust like a 4 inch MBRP or Silverline. Get a set of gauges (EGT, tranny temp) THEN get you a SCT. I run the Looney from DJ as my daily driver, and Im not studed yet. Ive ran it for about 10,000 miles, and ran someone elses tune for 10,000 before that, but it sucked. Go with his street tune if you are weary of a higher power tune. It runs great too!

BC06PSD... DJ doesn't like people to tow over 10K with a tune. Some still do it though. I always recommend a tow tune, street tune, and the looney tune. I would strongly recommend getting some gauges (either analog or digital, we have both).

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks to all of you that replied. When I get my SCT I'll definetly buy some gauges too. If I got a livewire would it be able to monitor everything? I think I remember there were some bugs in the livewire. Did they get worked out?

Good Morning,

I was not able to reply sooner because we were out for the weekend but I see Chris is taking care of you!

As mentioned before, DJ does not recommend towing more than 8500 lbs. with a tuner, any tuner. We can write you a tow tune but suggest you get a pyrometer and tranny temp gauge, even for towing stock. We can also give you a tranny file only. We have found that although the file will not have any engine power, just shifting correctly, you will feel more power.

Thanks,
Vivian

Alright, I've decided. Thanks to all of those who've helped me. Now the stupid question. I don't see a way on your website to order. Are call in's the only way to order? Thanks again.

Update. Talked with Vivian, who is a super nice and helpful lady, and ordered SCT and gauges. I'm very excited about my purchase and can't wait to program my truck. Thanks DJ.

Back