Quick Questions

Bobus

Powerstroked
Buddy & I tore down a '01 GMC 2500 Duramax, that had a Leaking passenger side head gasket.. Found that the Rear cylinder was really clean and had some coolant in it, I also Decided to do the driver side while we were in there, and found that the front cylinder on that side is washed clean like teh pass rear.. Is it common too have 2 Headgaskets go at the same time on a Duramax?

Also we pulled the injectors outa the heads, and the 2 rear injectors in the pass head had white Powder buildup around the bottom of the injector (Below the Copper washer) Is this coolant related?

When The injectors were Pulled from the Driver side head, we found Rust on the Injector (Above the Copper Washer) What could casue this? Cracked Injector Cup?

Thanks for any help/suggestion you can offer.. And it only took me 10 hours to remove the Heads..Not bad for the first time workin on a Duramax..

It Is Common On A 01, To Have Some Head Gasket Issues. The Powder Condition In The Injector Cups Indicates A Coolant Leak, And The Rust On The Injector, Is Something That Does Happen Time To Time, I Dont Think Its A Cracked Injector Cup, Just Some Water Contamination.

Now this may be a stupid Question...But should the Head bolts be replaced now that they have been removed? In the past i have done it both ways (Reusing the old or Buying new and never had any probs) just looking for your thoughts..

You can not reuse the headbolts on a duramax. They are torque to yield bolts. I also firmly suggest removing and resealing all the injector cups/sleeves while you are doing it.

Back