rail dust

Hammer Down

hey guys i have noticed some little specs of rust on my truck, just little pin dot rust. i have been told it is rail dust from when the trucks are transported from the factory. whatever the case may be I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what you used to remove it. im going to run a claybar over it in the morning to pull what i can out of it. has anyone used anything else? thanks in advance.

If you are in a region that there is snow it is also from when the cast iron plow blade cutting edges are scraped on the ground. It is a PITA to get off if left on too long.

Dad had the same thing on his but it seemed to be the passenger bed side. Clay bar was the only thing that worked.

If you are in a region that there is snow it is also from when the cast iron plow blade cutting edges are scraped on the ground. It is a PITA to get off if left on too long.

I hadn't ever thought of that, I had a truck that it kept appearing on, truck was white, and yes clay bar took it out.

i bought a white truck out of texas and it had this "rail dust" fairly bad when i bought it, clay bar worked, then it came back. then i had it buffed and it went away, and didnt come back

im having this same problem!!! my truck is covered in these little spots, good info on the clay bar

I bought a white truck that had this from the factory. They also called it rail dust

I got them to compound & wax the truck to get the spots off...it only took 1/4 of the rust spots off. It was all over the vehicle even on the roof so I don't think it was from the brakes.

It's brake dust, I asked more than one detailed before what it was because even after getting it all off it will come back. I clay bar to get it off

most of the time you will see it on white trucks , any other color you have to run you hand across the paint to feel it ... very very little of it is brake dust . most of the time showing up on the tail gate .... transport and or living near train tracks ..you will have rail dust spots .. rest of the time. its dirt and metal on the air flying around ...than it rains or the truck gets wet .. the sun comes out the droplets act as a magnifying glass and makes the dirty and what ever else in bed it self in the clear coat ...

clay bar is the best way to get it off .. unless you want swirls in you paint ... I use a clay bar , wash mitt , and a 5 gallon bucket with 20oz of dishwashing soap ... there are different grits of clay bar 1500-2500 grit .. you will only find the good clay bars from a automotive paint supply store .. the junk you can get at autozone ect work ok , but you have to go over it a few times ..

Back