Rear crank seal with wear sleeve install help.

qmikep

I've got to replace my rear main due to leaks. I replaced it a couple years ago and as there was a slight groove on the crank, I drove the seal in a bit further as some suggest, instead of installing the wear sleeve. Unfortunately it didn't last long, 30,000 miles and a oil dusted south bend cluthch later and I've got to do it again.

So I got one of the cummins rear main seals with the wear ring. Unfortunately unlike the front crank seal with where sleeve, it doesn't come with the plastic pilot tool to get the seal to slip over the nose of the crank/installed wear sleeve. Apparently cummins has you install them as an assembly and it requires a $100 + dollar tool to do.

Has anyone installed the wear sleeve rear main combo without using the special tool? Maybe using the flywheel and the old rear main seal install ring together to press it on ?

Thanks for the help.

I have used a flex plate or flywheel in the past to push them on using the bolts. Its not ideal because it's hard to keep it straight and the depth may not end up quite right, but its doable.

I install the seal into the seal housing first with the normal seal install tool. Then I use the center of a flywheel to press it onto the crank. I've used flexplates as well, but I like the flywheels as they have a female rabbet to set the sleeve depth on the crank, and won't bend the alignment tangs that are on the flexplate. But you gotta use what you have. Done two or three this way with no issues.

Back