Receiver Hitch - 1st gen vs 2nd gen

Bersaglieri

Ron Swanson's Brother
I was doing some looking for rear hitches for my buddy's 1st gen. It seems many of the aftermarket 1st gen ones are listed the same as the 2nd gen trucks. [Curt 14001 same for both trucks] Does this mean he could install/use a factory 2nd gen hitch? Or is it a listing mistake?

I ask because I was planning on upgrading the 1997's hitch and I'd gladly give him mine for free to save him some money. Seems odd, but his 1st gen didn't come with a rear hitch at all. He lives to far away for me to measure frame width, etc.

I have one from a 24v on my '89, so yes, the widths are the same. I had to drill new holes, but that's not a big deal to most people.

BUT, I have a 8" drop bumper on my '89 and the hitch fits like it should with no spacers, so the 2nd gen hitches may drop an extra 2". That could be a possible issue.

Good info, thanks. I was wondering why they came back the same part number more than once.

Do you have any pictures of yours installed? I can PM my number so you can just text them instead of uploading. Just so I can see how much drop your talking about.

You have a PM.

My bumper is an 8" drop and the regular 1st gen bumper I have is 6" tall. I was really happy when I stumbled into something that fit right.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures, that explains it. Looks like I'll get a new curt [15319] and my bud gets a free 2nd gen one.

Back