Rollout time???

DieselHardware

Wondering if anyone has actual data on rollout times for diesels. Have looked into the sensor for getting it real-time, but too expensive for me. I'm running 35's always in 4wd launching with 10-15lbs of boost, 325-350rwhp, 8200lbs, 3.73 rear gears. I know it varies truck to truck, suspension setup, etc, just wondering if anyone has some numbers I can compare to.

I could probably go through my slips and figure out an approximation of rollout. After I bought some smaller tires for racing I started redlighting much more often. I thought I was just getting out that much faster, didn't really think about th height of the beams coming into play. Used to leave on the last yellow and cut some pretty nasty lights. Now I have to give it a split second more.

why do you want to know? for running brackets or something?

Already running brackets....but got a practice tree and trying to get it setup a little closer to how I'm already running the truck. I got it dialed in a little better last night but out of the box was 100% redlights because the rollout time was a little too fast.

Are you using a foot pedal with your practice tree? Most people seem to be a bit slower with the foot than finger or thumb.

I have found a huge difference in effective rollout in different vehicles, depending on tire size and how hard it leaves. IIRC a friend's 1998 24V Dodge on 35" tires, leaving at 10 psi of boost, was roughly 0.350 total rollout in my practice tree. A box stock 2008 F250 leaving at 25 psi boost was closer to 0.325.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Are you using a foot pedal with your practice tree? Most people seem to be a bit slower with the foot than finger or thumb.

I have found a huge difference in effective rollout in different vehicles, depending on tire size and how hard it leaves. IIRC a friend's 1998 24V Dodge on 35" tires, leaving at 10 psi of boost, was roughly 0.350 total rollout in my practice tree. A box stock 2008 F250 leaving at 25 psi boost was closer to 0.325.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Thanks for the info Mike. Not using foot pedals yet. I need to order the microswitches and want to set it up in the truck(yeah I know it sounds nerdy). I just don't have the time to do that right now so I just ordered the box and thumb switches. I have been trying to mimic my feet movements part of the time at the same time as my thumb though to get the two working together. We will see how things go in Phoenix. I adjusted the rollout from 0.32 to 0.42 and that may be the difference between thumb and foot. We'll find out soon enough....

You'd be amazed at how simple my foot pedal piece is, it's a piece of Lexan (extra from my race car window) in the shape of an "L", with the leg of the L bent up at about a 45° angle (so the main part of the L rests on the floor and the leg sticks up), with a micro switch mounted in the raised part. I use my right foot to hold the main part of the L flat on the floor, and work the microswitch with my left foot. I wanted something small to toss in my helmet bag. LOL, the first version I made was the exact same shape but made of steel, the TSA didn't really like it in carry-on bags...

Back