Roots Blower on Cummins

Begle1

Looking at that long skinny intake manifold cast into the stock head, wouldn't a roots-style blower just naturally fit on the top of that thing?

d8cbe2a22e724315d2bb275ffb4e65a5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've been looking at these darn three empty threaded holes in the front of my head for 15 years now and I still haven't figured out what I'm going to bolt there.

Attachments

• The Holes.JPG
    The Holes.JPG
    740.5 KB · Views: 0
Didn't Piers build one many years ago? I tried the old google image trick, but didn't find the one I was thinking of.

Have thought of doing this also. Have seen pictures over the years but not seen any results.

This Australian company does a lot of inline 6 performance stuff. Give you a layout idea, just instead of a carb on top, have the turbo feeding into it.
8c7f5118b6269af0e589ee348b09bbd9.jpg

Restriction is greater than the gain in instant boost in my opinion.

I have thought about doing the newer Eaton Blowers with a bypass valve made on them. A buddy has been working on a 4bt with an HY35 and a Eaton bypass blower for years, I'm betting it will never be done, LOL

Chris

I've been looking at these darn three empty threaded holes in the front of my head for 15 years now and I still haven't figured out what I'm going to bolt there.

:hehe: You just about killed me laughing with that one. That's exactly how my friend and I talk in the garage:"Hey, we've got three bolt holes not doing a thing! They need to earn their pay and start making horsepower!"

Yes, PDR was involved in a Wipple Blower on a 1998 215hp engine back in 2005. Although cool looking & sound, the combo hurt fuel mileage big time & power came in faster as you can see when I dyno'd the truck, peak hp power was only 5hp more. The torque was impressive though. I overlapped the dyno sheets so one can easily see apples to apples. Single turbo sheets on the left & blower sheets on the right.
In my opinion, it is not worth the massive drop in fuel mileage. If I remember right, 4-6mpg drop.

Attachments

• blower-59L-cummins.jpg
    blower-59L-cummins.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Blower Dyno.jpg
    Blower Dyno.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0
I always wanted to see a blower setup in an offroad application where torque response is more critical.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

Perfection! I don't usually see things for sale that I really want.

A Whipple/screw would definitely be better, roots are pretty bad at moving air compared to most any other option. I havent heard if Carl is still running that setup.

I didn't know there was a difference between a roots/ screw/ whipple supercharger. Can I just call them all blowers?

Reading about it, it sounds like they just figured out a better way to build the rotating mass. Makes me wonder what the advantage of a roots is? The ability to last for a million miles on a 2 stroke Detroit?

Yes, PDR was involved in a Wipple Blower on a 1998 215hp engine back in 2005. Although cool looking & sound, the combo hurt fuel mileage big time & power came in faster as you can see when I dyno'd the truck, peak hp power was only 5hp more. The torque was impressive though. I overlapped the dyno sheets so one can easily see apples to apples. Single turbo sheets on the left & blower sheets on the right.
In my opinion, it is not worth the massive drop in fuel mileage. If I remember right, 4-6mpg drop.

I vaguely remember this. Looks like it did what you'd expect it to do; move power way down lower.

For the mileage, it dawns on me that you could do the Mad Max thing on a diesel, put the supercharger on a clutch and have some sort of bypass/ check valve so you cruise on turbo only and engage the supercharger when you need the low down power. Although that sounds a hundred times easier to do with a centrifugal/ ProCharger type setup.

But at least they covered up those darn three holes in the front of the head.

Last edited:
Perfection! I don't usually see things for sale that I really want.

I didn't know there was a difference between a roots/ screw/ whipple supercharger. Can I just call them all blowers?

Reading about it, it sounds like they just figured out a better way to build the rotating mass. Makes me wonder what the advantage of a roots is? The ability to last for a million miles on a 2 stroke Detroit?

I vaguely remember this. Looks like it did what you'd expect it to do; move power way down lower.

For the mileage, it dawns on me that you could do the Mad Max thing on a diesel, put the supercharger on a clutch and have some sort of bypass/ check valve so you cruise on turbo only and engage the supercharger when you need the low down power. Although that sounds a hundred times easier to do with a centrifugal/ ProCharger type setup.

But at least they covered up those darn three holes in the front of the head.
There's no real advantage to a true 60° roots blower. DD used them because that's what existed and they weren't using them to make power so they weren't real concerned about efficiency. A high helix is still a "blower" but much more efficient than the 60° rotors. Screws are really totally different animals and more efficient than any roots.

Back