Run time with filled engine

Pony_Kegger

I have a filled block and head this year in my puller. Wanting to put some heat cycles on it so I can torque the head a few times, before a long year of beating on it. How long can you run them. Would like to get it warmed up good. Do I just watch block temp and oil temp. If so how hot is too hot?

We watch oil temp on ours. We have noticed that in our puller that the oil temp seems to rise faster than the outside of the block. So we feel the oil filter and when it's just a little to hot to hold, call it good. That is also about the temp we warm up to right before a hook. I have checked that temp with a laser thermometer but cannot remember the number at the moment. We are running a filled 6.7 block with a filled head.

For reference on the above post. 140F is typically the temp that you can't put your hand on it for very long.

A laser thermometer will give you a ball park number. Laser thermometers will read the surface temperature of an object and may not be identical to the temperature of the media on the inside. It could be +/- only by a few degrees but you wouldn't know until you can actually get a temp. of the media within.

Were it me, I'd find somewhere to plumb an inline analog temp gauge for the oil. At least then, you could physically see a differential between the laser and temp gauge.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

How hot is too hot for the oil where you are in danger of melted pistons and bearing failure? 275*F? 300*F?

Ive never seen over 220* on back to back passes. When I built late model engines they wanted them kept under 250*. At 180* my truck starts putting oil on the track out of the blowby tube. Petroleum oils start to break down around 240*

Last edited:
Measure in the pan if possible, that's where all the hot oil from engine parts collect! Keep under 270°f. BUT running a filled block you may need to keep it cooler. If running an oil cooler, I'd try to keep post cooler temps under 200.

Ok I will run it up 180 or so. It is going to take 10 min or so to get it that hot I think. Just did not want to over heat the cyl walls or head I have a temp sender in the pan about 2 in off the bottom.

I don't have an oil temp gauge in mine but generally I will fire mine as soon as the truck before me takes off. Then depending on the distance from the trailer I will either pull off the track and shut it off to be towed back to the trailer, or just drive it straight back to the trailer.

5 min idling on my filled engine gets it to 140 deg. Oil temp is measured in the oil filter housing mount on the prefilter side. I think just about 10 min idling is 170 or so.

Just a thought here.... IIRC, when I had my 24 valve I had a Quadzilla on it and the trans fluid temp plumbed into the oil filter housing. I recall seeing 220 deg or more when the truck was at operating temperature. But then again that is a wet block, so it may not hold any merit.

I have no experience here and wont anytime in the foreseeable future, but if it were me I think I'd let the oil warm up to 180 deg before I hooked to the sled to start with. Then from there depending on the temps at the end of the track adjust accordingly.

Just my $.02 on the matter.

While we are all here could somebody be so kind as to school me on the proper way to fill a block

Last edited:
While we are all here could somebody be so kind as to school me on the proper way to fill a block

Dump it in from the deck and use a needler attachment for an air hammer to get it all to settle. If you want the factory oil filter cooler housing then you'll have to put one in there when you fill it.

Find a way to block off the cooler from getting filled. You can use wax paper or card board. That way if you ever have oiling issues you can take it out.

Back