S300 compressor recommendation

biggy238

I popped my CAT S300 the other night. I have been looking for wheels and have a couple of leads out with no response yet from some shops.
It's a 62/65/.080 and started life with a 169565 wheel. It shot the compressor and bearings. I found several threads indicating that the 64/65s are nothing but surge magnets.

I also found some mention of GTX hybrids but I can't get back to that for some reason. Does anyone know what's up with that? I'm thinking a 63mm inducer would be a happy medium between the 62 and 64 without being so prone to surge.

I can't find anything for part numbers on the 63's or 64's from borg. Is this an aftermarket only thing? Cost is a large factor but worth it for an upgrade.

I didn't post in turbo/super tech since its just another s300 question.

Thanks for any help.
Kyle

Meh in my opinion you're almost out of turbine. Is the compressor cover trashed? If so, might as well rebuild with a 63. And then I'd start saving for a primary for twins.

With that 65, I wouldn't go any bigger than 62mm on the compressor. I see real B/W 62mm wheels on ebay for as low as $50. If you want something fancy, call FI. After learning the hard way, go with a steel 360 thrust bearing. They'll take a lot of abuse and still keep the wheel off the front cover.

The cover is OK. The damage to the wheel is chunking rather than shaving, making me think it just smacked the wheel when it rebounded and then rested out away from the chra. ****ty deal but I would like to upgrade more than just repair it. Beggars can't by choosers though.
Thanks
Kyle

From my Not-So-Smart phone

Look on stainless diesel same thing happened to mine, exhaust wheel is fine inducer fins bent barely on the outside. Look on ebay too I bought mine for 30$ shipped lol

Back