S400 equivalent?

TxDiesel007

Uncommon CR problemed
I just spoke to my turbo guy

My S400 is in need of a rebuild, its leaking oil out of teh cold side of the turbine, not the exhaust side. I was told that he was able to find a turbo that is the garrett equivalent of an s400 for about 685 dollars.. I will get more information here shortly as i am on my way to the shop as we speak...

But do any of you turbo gurus know which turbo he is talkin about? will it work with my HX35? Im guessin that my turbo is shot pretty bad and he is tryin to either make a sale, or save me a bunch of money and wait time...

thanks guys!

OR if push comes to shove.. where can i find an s400?

Rick

Probably the s400 found on the 60 series detroit.

Garrett equivelant of a S400 is a Garrett GT42. But the ones off the Detroit kinda suck.

Diesel Freak said:
Garrett equivelant of a S400 is a Garrett GT42. But the ones off the Detroit kinda suck.

IIRC, GT42's all have a smaller shaft, and smaller turbine wheel than the standard B2.

Chris

last I know a standard s400 used for twins wasn't much more then that plus htt of II or any turbo place should be able to fix your cheaper then buying another one.

KingS said:
last I know a standard s400 used for twins wasn't much more then that plus htt of II or any turbo place should be able to fix your cheaper then buying another one.

Yep, around $350 for a rebuild from most shops. The b2 at citydiesel.com is $650.

If its just bearings Tims Turbo can usally turn that around for 250++$ prices may vary

U can pic a s400 up all day for in the $500 range. But i would for sure call II or HTT and see if they might be able to repair it.

Make sure you don't have any blockage in the drain on the Turbo. I've gotten new and old turbos back that have had no apparent reason to be leaking. The front seal looked good on the bench and you would just scratch your head.

Big bucks later Joe customer runs home with his new turbo and installs it only to call back saying that this one leaks / passes oil too. Come to find an obstruction in the Oil return line, so don't over look the obvious. lots of things can cause an obstruction... if your retun line is hose of any sort, I'd dig into it before spending cash. Funny things happen, that's why they are deemed funny.

Good luck

Back