School me on electrical lift pump setups. (160 p-pump)

dpaqu

I'm swapping in a p7100 into my 93d250. Should I pressurize the mechanical lift pump with a small electric pump or front feed a high-pressure electric pump? Or should I do both? Doing both seems inelegant. I dont think i want to eliminate the mechanical lift pump altogether. Charger will most likely be a 363sxe if that helps. It's a playtruck for the dragstrip.

Run one of power driven diesels upgraded factory style lift pumps with like a holley black pusher.

Why would you need to supply power driven pump with an electrical pump? That seems redundant.

What are you doing with your old VE?

There is a very nice a1000 system for sale right now in the classifieds.

Your old mechanical pump won't be good enough. At a minimum I'd get the 2nd gen one you are getting the pump swap stuff from. Then get a Holley pusher pump to help out. Or go with the power driven one by its self.

You have the right idea.

Either way you want atleast 40+ PSI to the pump, those 160's tend to like the pressure.

I also have a nice brand new Fuel Lab I'd sell too! ;)

Why not just run a factory piston pump from a 12v engine? They will make it to 600hp with no fuel delivery problems, and will give you way less headache than any electric pump...

The beauty of a 12v is simplicity and longevity...strapping an electric pump to it ruins both, as it will fail.

Chris

They make 600hp on 180 and 215 pumps. bigblue24 explains it well but the pump cams in the 160 and 175 pumps have a stupid short spill port duration. The powerdrivendiesel website ought to acknowledge that.

I have the ppump lift pump. Can i run that aromotive a1000 beast against it? Seems like that might overtax the stock p-pump lift pump. I'd put it on a switch to turn it off when I didn't need it.

Running a Holley black to preload the stock lift pump is the cheapest way to go. Just not sure if it will allow the truck with a 362 SXE to fuel hard to 3-3200k rpms.

I did over 700hp with stock lift pump. Just saying.

I don't know what the pressure was at, but it wasn't running out of fuel either.

The stock lift will do a decent job, but if you do plan on racing, it won't supply the pressure needed to get the best out of a 160/175 pump when pushed hard, especially at higher RPMs. To get the most out of them, you need 50psi+ @ WOT. I saw improved times when going from 30-40 to 60-70psi when I was running a 160hp pump, I think BigBlue saw gains with higher pressures too.

The mechanical with electric pusher works good, I run 2 electrics.

Last edited:
Back