Screen for non-intercooled application

Begle1

What are the options when it comes to preventing a blown up turbo from shrapnelling your head? What have people done?

Some of the bigger engines like 3516 cat engines have a really fine screen over the intake ports.

Like 1/8" stainless screen door? Or finer and thicker?

What's the best way to attach a screen to the inside of a pipe?

Much finer I'd say maybe 50 to 60 micron the only thing that could get thru that screen was dust. Get somebody to get you a parts breakdown of cat 3516 landfill gas engine. The screen bolts in between the manifold and the head.

Do you have an intake heater?

I did, now I don't; my concern is related.

I would sure think that a micron-rated mesh would be a restriction. And how the heck do I attach a mesh to something while ensuring that none of the little meshy fibers get sucked off...

What does Subaru use? I hear that they have some in stock applications, haven't been able to find pictures though.

I wouldn't go with a real fine mesh. You're not looking for secondary filtration, which is what that will do. Thats added restriction. Secondly, I doubt a fine mesh will contain parts from an exploding compressor wheel. Big parts will cut through that, and all the little bits will follow. I'd say find some real course heavy mesh and put it right off the discharge. The stuff I'm thinking is on the steam screens in big power turbines. Its about .100" wire with .250" holes. No idea if its commercially available.

Don't worry about it. I ran 4 compressor wheels through the last set of pistons. They got replaced because the wrist-pin holes were galled not because of FOD. The aluminum melts and doesn't damage much of anything.

Just put a TAG in the compressor discharge tube. :Cheer:

Back