Shell LM24 Racing Diesel

I could see using it if it ment making your engine run nicer. So does general care oil filters help's a long way.

Some basic facts about the LM24 Racing Fuel

Sorry but I just now found this thread. I think I can add some facts that will help you make a decision about the diesel racing fuels. First, there is some truth that these fuels will not create much difference if you put them into an engine that is not tuned for the fuel. Just imagine I gave you a $30/gallon 117 octane racing gasoline and asked you to put it into your rental car - will there be a measurable differnce - probably not.

So why do people use the diesel racing fuels? There are three primary advantages. First the cetane is extremly high - higher than can be achieved with an additive and it is a true cetane number above 60. This means the fuel will combust more rapidly than regular diesel with an additive (46-50 cetane number). It also means there is no need to overfuel the engine and therefore no smoke as all the diesel is burned in the engine. Second, the fuel has more btu's per pound than regular diesel fuel. Third, the fuel has a lower viscosity than regular diesel fuel. This means that the fuel can flow into the engine faster with less resistance. If you take these three advantages together then you have a fuel that will produce more power without smoke and without high exhaust temperatures.

Like any expensive racing fuel the fuel must be matched to the engine tune. The objective is to get as much fuel into the engine as is possible for the engine to efficiently combust without dumping fuel into the exhaust. If you cannot tune your engine for the fuel then you can tune the fuel for your engine by creating a blend of regular diesel fuel, racing diesel fuel and maybe even an oxygenate like biodiesel (if you need more O2). Watch the engine (Maximizing) and exhaust (Minimizing) temperatures for the perfect fuel choice.

The final reason that diesel racing fuel is used is that it is a consistent composition. At one time I blended commercial diesel fuel and I can tell you that the composition does change from place-to-place and from time-to-time. The diesel fuel you run today may be different than the fuel you get next month.

This is a long reply but racing fuels are for racing engines and are really going to produce significant results when the engine is tuned for the fuel, or vice versa.

Our list of engine builders using diesel racing fuel goes back more than ten years and I can tell you from experience that these fuels (Shell LM24 and Syndiesel) are a well kept secret outside of these shops. Someone in your thread may be downgrading these fuels while using them for a competitive advantage. It is always best to do your own research or ask your engine builder to test the fuels.

Other than consistancy, i dont know of, nore have i ever heard one advantage that this fuel offers over pump #2.

Never seen any dyno results, track results or anything other than on paper that it's better.

Syndiesel or shell, i was going to be a distributor, but after much reserch i found no reason/proof where i could to sell it legit.(without lieing about it's performance) I wont do that!

I've talked with several who have used it and tried to tune it on the dyno with no gain's.
No bad was said other than the fuel itself was too thin and caused rail pressure issue's.

Sorry but I just now found this thread. I think I can add some facts that will help you make a decision about the diesel racing fuels. First, there is some truth that these fuels will not create much difference if you put them into an engine that is not tuned for the fuel. Just imagine I gave you a $30/gallon 117 octane racing gasoline and asked you to put it into your rental car - will there be a measurable differnce - probably not.

So why do people use the diesel racing fuels? There are three primary advantages. First the cetane is extremly high - higher than can be achieved with an additive and it is a true cetane number above 60. This means the fuel will combust more rapidly than regular diesel with an additive (46-50 cetane number). It also means there is no need to overfuel the engine and therefore no smoke as all the diesel is burned in the engine. Second, the fuel has more btu's per pound than regular diesel fuel. Third, the fuel has a lower viscosity than regular diesel fuel. This means that the fuel can flow into the engine faster with less resistance. If you take these three advantages together then you have a fuel that will produce more power without smoke and without high exhaust temperatures.

Like any expensive racing fuel the fuel must be matched to the engine tune. The objective is to get as much fuel into the engine as is possible for the engine to efficiently combust without dumping fuel into the exhaust. If you cannot tune your engine for the fuel then you can tune the fuel for your engine by creating a blend of regular diesel fuel, racing diesel fuel and maybe even an oxygenate like biodiesel (if you need more O2). Watch the engine (Maximizing) and exhaust (Minimizing) temperatures for the perfect fuel choice.

The final reason that diesel racing fuel is used is that it is a consistent composition. At one time I blended commercial diesel fuel and I can tell you that the composition does change from place-to-place and from time-to-time. The diesel fuel you run today may be different than the fuel you get next month.

This is a long reply but racing fuels are for racing engines and are really going to produce significant results when the engine is tuned for the fuel, or vice versa.

Our list of engine builders using diesel racing fuel goes back more than ten years and I can tell you from experience that these fuels (Shell LM24 and Syndiesel) are a well kept secret outside of these shops. Someone in your thread may be downgrading these fuels while using them for a competitive advantage. It is always best to do your own research or ask your engine builder to test the fuels.

As soon as my new engine gets about done, we will try some different combinations and document the results. If there is a problem, I'd rather it surfaced with the old motor.

Back