Shutoff Solenoid "lazy" to open

Hotlappin'

I ain't no F*in' Rookie!!
I have my shutoff solenoid wired in and working, but not like it should. It needs help to pull the lever up after the starter is triggered. Once picked up it holds just fine, and when shut off it comes down just fine. What is causing this? Thanks.

I have the red wire to keyed on hot source, black grounded to negative terminal on the battery, and white tapped into the trigger wire on the starter. I bought it used.

white wire is the pull in. if its not pulling in then the solenoid is likely bad.

The solenoid isnt gummed up inside is it?

Pull it apart and clean it up. I always use a little emmery cloth on them.

I have the red wire to keyed on hot source, black grounded to negative terminal on the battery, and white tapped into the trigger wire on the starter. I bought it used.

If you have it wired directly to the trigger wire on the starter, you're not passing enough current to pull it up. The trigger wire is to activate a relay, not directly power the solenoid.

If you have it wired directly to the trigger wire on the starter, you're not passing enough current to pull it up. The trigger wire is to activate a relay, not directly power the solenoid.

Aha! Now this is what I'm looking for. I'm not familiar with relays, so what would it take to put one in. Do I need a relay holder like a fuse holder? And what size relay? I would assume I would run wire from the starter trigger wire, to the relay, then out of the relay to the fuel solenoid, correct?

Thanks.

I just used a standard 12v starter relay from napa. Hot in from the battery, on the other side is a wire out to the solenoid, then the wire from the starter goes to the excite on solenoid.

Battery power goes to pin 30. Trigger wire from starter goes to pin 85. Ground from pin 86. Power to solenoid from pin 87. Pin 87A is not use. Solenoids will pull up to 70 amp, so get one thats capable of handling that. A fuse or a fusible link between the battery and relay would be wise.

Battery power goes to pin 30. Trigger wire from starter goes to pin 85. Ground from pin 86. Power to solenoid from pin 87. Pin 87A is not use. Solenoids will pull up to 70 amp, so get one thats capable of handling that. A fuse or a fusible link between the battery and relay would be wise.

Cool, thanks!

Back