Sizing a Radiator

Nor'Easter

Putting a VE in a 96 Ford. With the way the engine sits, the fan is too close to the stock 7.3 rad for comfort. It is running an he351 over s472, and I'm curious as to how big I really need to go with a radiator. I'd love to use a universal radiator like this one, it's the right size and would fit in perfectly. The price is also better than the $800 plus I've been quoted for a custom one.

I haven't been able to find any sort of guideline for sizing a radiator in a diesel.

http://www.griffinrad.com/load_details7.php?PartID=434&year=All&make=Chevy,%20Dodge&model=Racer&select_Main_Group=400-600&select_Sub_Group=TL&select_Sub_Group_model=BR&select_Sub_Group_Engine=Manual&select_Sub_Group_HorsePower=31x19x3&key_id=1-55272-XS

If your not towing with the truck just about anything will keep a VE/12v cool.

most of us have problems getting/keeping the coolant up to operating temp anyhow.

Once over the 400rwhp level, I find that my coolant can't even pretend to keep up with the demand.

However, you're not using that kind of power unless you tow a ton of weight up a hill.

Now in saying that, I'd run an electric fan and use your 7.3 radiator.

Cant just scoot engine back? I see alot of swaps with stock fan and ford rad. Did you build the mounts yourself?

My cold pipe is hard up against the a/c system. Unless I swap out my Stainless manifold for an industrial one I can't move any farther back. They are autoworld mounts. With a radiator the size of the one I posted I can fit it inside the core support where as the stock radiator doesn't fit inside it.

image50_zpsfb612a27.jpeg

That universal will be fine. Especially for your initial setup. I put one in my 1stgen non ic at the same time I put a psic. I calculated it to have iirc about 40 percent more cooling and 300 percent more fluid capacity. Mine has been doing great, so good that I have not even built a shroud yet. Its been on for about 3 or 4 years now. And I have even taken the fan off during cold months and ran a winter front. But I think you should take a look at a dodge 2ndgen cummins rad and ic setup. See if it'll fit.

Back