Sleeving a 6.0 block?

bluthndr

Anyone ever done it? Anything special relative to Sleeving a "normal" gas engine?

Friend tore one down has some pretty good scoring on the cylinder walls. Honing yielded poor and insufficient results. Would like to avoid buying a block. It is not a performance engine.

Yeah you cant just sleeve it. You can bore it and run an oversized piston. I have a .10 over in mine. They weight the same so you do not end up with a rotating imbalance. Thats problaby your cheapest route.

It can be done so the real question is just how much money are you willing to spend to do it.

Sleeving is very expensive, if you were to do all 8 holes. BUT, if you are only doing the 1 hole -not so bad. Oversize pistons are available in 20,30,40 - so
it would have to be pretty bad not to salvage with bore job. ALSO, you need to figure out what caused the problem - bad inj., air in cooling system etc. so you don't do it again. Plan on head stud kit too about 500.00 . Also, our experience with these engines is the block and heads are not flat or straight from the factory and they need to be cut to correct this. MLS head gaskets are great but, they don't tolerate less than ideal conditions. Don't know where you are but I could do the work for you at our engine shop.

Last edited:
Also, our experience with these engines is the block and heads are not flat or straight from the factory and they need to be cut to correct this. MLS head gaskets are great but, they don't tolerate less than ideal conditions. Don't know where you are but I could do the work for you at our engine shop.

Is this both the block and the head consistently? Or Just an even mix of the engines you are seeing?

It is consistent with all the blocks and heads we have seen. Not a lot,
but it takes about .003 average to clean each piece.

Just to update - he did end up sleeving the one hole that wouldn't clean up at .040. Been several months since and all is well.

Originally caused by a part/tool in the intake(!) which caused the concern it originally came to the shop for. I guess finding a valve seat for the head was the real challenge. Like I said tho - all is well.

good to hear back that he was able to get it running. personally if i had seen it when it was posted, i would have that i could not see any reason why it couldn't have been bored over on 1 cyl and then sleeved back to stock. in fact that how i thought it was always done

Back