Smith's 9.97 is the record, right?

CumminAtYa

Looking for a megacab
I was under the assumption that the 9.97 pass at ORP a couple weeks ago in Indy was a record setter for a 4x4, right? I have a claim on another site that someone heard or saw maddog run a 9.92 in his Fummins. Just wanted to clarify so I could set the record straight.

As far as I know Smith's 9.97 is the quickest...I think Richard ran a low 6 in the 1/8 which might convert to a 9.92 but that is just a guess......nothing official....

Jason Sands
Associate Editor
Diesel Power Magazine

Smith's have it.

Richard is a bit behind that time.

Also if NHRA has their way. It will be all but impossible to esablish any 9 second runs in a 4x4 in the future.

NHRA has a few things in place that pretty well equal 9 second 4x4 means ejection from track. Which translates into no backup pass to establish record.

There are a few people currently working to get this resolved.

~Wes~

What is the big deal with fast 4X4's? more moving parts & heavier I get that....but roll cage & helmet help right?

The NHRA isn't letting it happen, or the DHRA won't let 9 second 4x4's pass?

NHRA has never let 4x4's run that fast DHRA does just like they said when he ran that time at ORP DHRA is the only Sanctioned place that lets 4x4's run that fast with out getting the boot off the track.

NHRA has a bit of a problem with our 4x4 trucks because we have no center differential like an AWD vehicle would.

Plus the crankshaft centerline tends to be a bit high on those trucks as well.

~Wes~

Pretty sure richard's quickest 1/4mi ET is 10.59

He's got it, but gotta get it to the ground.

Well why would anyone want to run NHRA? I can see showing up quite a few cars on the track that weigh hundreds of pounds less but isn't that why we have the DHRA and NHRDA?

CumminAtYa said:
Well why would anyone want to run NHRA? I can see showing up quite a few cars on the track that weigh hundreds of pounds less but isn't that why we have the DHRA and NHRDA?

Here's the problem with that logic.

The TRACKS themselves are sanctioned by NHRA. Therefore the track is supposed to follow the NHRA rules at a minimum.

Even if the event is being run using the DHRA rules, the track must use both sets of rules (DHRA and NHRA).

At Indy the track officials turned their head. It won't happen everywhere.
(Plus most techs/tracks don't even realize that NHRA has a rule about 4x4s in the 9s)

~Wes~

It has not been an issue yet. But, it will eventually come up as an issue.

IRS cars have the same problem, but there are some racers who are running low numbers in 'em....if I recall correctly, there is a PSCA car that runs low 9s which is totally illegal, except for he has a built centersection and "halfshaft loops".....hopefully something similar can come of the 4x4 stuff, although it might come at the price of transfer case blankets and balancer shields like the sledpullers have ;)

Crawler said:
Here's the problem with that logic.

The TRACKS themselves are sanctioned by NHRA. Therefore the track is supposed to follow the NHRA rules at a minimum.

Even if the event is being run using the DHRA rules, the track must use both sets of rules (DHRA and NHRA).

At Indy the track officials turned their head. It won't happen everywhere.
(Plus most techs/tracks don't even realize that NHRA has a rule about 4x4s in the 9s)

~Wes~

It has not been an issue yet. But, it will eventually come up as an issue.

That is not correct Wes, once you have the ASO endorsement from NHRA, your rules trump all others. And believe it or not, it is mainly because of the insurance. Long explanation, but suffice it to say ASO's are self sufficient sanctioning bodies that are looked at as equals in motorsports officiating in the industry.

EMcBride said:
That is not correct Wes, once you have the ASO endorsement from NHRA, your rules trump all others. And believe it or not, it is mainly because of the insurance. Long explanation, but suffice it to say ASO's are self sufficient sanctioning bodies that are looked at as equals in motorsports officiating in the industry.

Thank you for the clarification Eric.

I had spoke with two tracks in North texas and that was the way it was explained to me.

~Wes~

I was wondering how the local outlaw events are legally run at the IHRA tracks; now I know. :) Their tech is battery hold down and a visual "no oil drips". After that, everything goes at any speed.

brandon.

Crawler said:
Thank you for the clarification Eric.

I had spoke with two tracks in North texas and that was the way it was explained to me.

~Wes~
Wes, I almost could have guessed that- the track officials typically know a lot of zilch. Funny thing is, when we rent a track and they tell us to pay them insurance! :hehe: :rules:
Then I ask them if they read the NHRA communications on ASO's and very few of them have ever looked at the list.
There are only a few ASO's so it's not an every day occurance for the tracks, AND they have every wanna be sanctioning body trying to make up their own rules.
Thanks for understanding Wes, can't wait to see that bad muther of yours run.

Back