Spring Gate?

jaime355

Six Slow
I have an 06 5.9 with twin Borg Warner's on it, it doesn't have a waste gate actuator on the turbo, it just has a spring and nut on the arm where the actuator would be, I was told this was called a spring gate. The truck makes 80 psi and I have a blown head gasket now even with arp studs. I'm going to do the gasket but would like to know if I can put a regular actuator on the turbo to bring the boost levels down. I would have to drill and tap the housing to run a hose to the actuator. Has anyone ever done or heard of someone doing this? At what psi should the top turbo be gated and do you think it would still run ok?

Please let us know what chargers and whose kit you may have. Also a breakdown of mods your truck has will help. Also what arp's did you have? 425 or 625 And at what torque?

And you could loosen the nut on the spring. Easier than replacing actuator.

I bought the truck 5 months ago with 34000 miles on it, work was already done. The previous owner left a list of mods all typed up with the truck, says the turbo setup was from wicked diesels, I don't know anything other than they are Borg Warner and it is a nice looking setup, deff nothing pieced together, looks correct. The headstuds are arp 2000, can I retorque them? If so should I loosen them all up and then retorque? As far as the rest of the truck it has an air dog 150, wicked cp3, wicked 120 injectors, htt cooler, coolant bypass, Afe intake elbo, preditor fuel pressure box, smarty tntr, BD trans, rev max torque converter, Detroit tru trac diffs, Hamilton valve springs and push rods, I think that's about it

Please let us know what chargers and whose kit you may have. Also a breakdown of mods your truck has will help. Also what arp's did you have? 425 or 625 And at what torque?

What are ARP 425 head studs?

The lower grade of arp studs for cummins engines. Or the 2000's. I've seen them advertised at both.
Ok, I figured the 625s you were talking about were the Custom Age 625+ alloy head studs, but I have never heard of any 425 alloy. I know the lower grade are made from ARP2000. I thought maybe I was missing something.

I have an 06 5.9 with twin Borg Warner's on it, it doesn't have a waste gate actuator on the turbo, it just has a spring and nut on the arm where the actuator would be, I was told this was called a spring gate. The truck makes 80 psi and I have a blown head gasket now even with arp studs. I'm going to do the gasket but would like to know if I can put a regular actuator on the turbo to bring the boost levels down. I would have to drill and tap the housing to run a hose to the actuator. Has anyone ever done or heard of someone doing this? At what psi should the top turbo be gated and do you think it would still run ok?
Is there any adjustment to the gate? Can you post a picture? Do you have a boost gauge in the cold pipe to see what is making between the stages?

Ok, I figured the 625s you were talking about were the Custom Age 625+ alloy head studs, but I have never heard of any 425 alloy. I know the lower grade are made from ARP2000. I thought maybe I was missing something.

Yes. 425's are from the 2000 material I believe.

247-4202 is the PN if if I remember correctly.

Back