Stacks through the tonneau

Robts

Proud Fummins Owner
I just ordered my new exhaust kit. I ordered the 6" stacks. My question is has anyone seen the stacks through a tonneau cover. I thought I saw this but sure if its a bad thing with the heat.

Cut a hole about an inch over size. Then take and by ya some gas hose, Cut the gas hose and push it over the cover, then it will close the gap between them. If you don't get what I just said sorry. It comes out to be a clean look.

Does closing the gap with the hose still let the cover open okay?

I've seen lots of guys do it with soft covers, but never a hard cover...Wait, maybe we're talking about a soft cover. Hmmm

Nice!!! 6" stacks are the perfect size! You are going to wish you ordered them sooner, trust me. :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:

As for the cover, I agree with the other about 1" or 1.5" bigger than the stack. Once I have some extra money I'm gonna order me a cover. It just makes the truck look cleaner and smooth.

!

I actually considered doing this but thought it was a stupid idea, but I guess not anymore. I would like to see a pic of someones. I still feel like with an inch its enough heat to burn the paint. I dont know maybe not. plus how do you stop the water from getting inside the bed. just a thought. You need some sort of rubber heat resistant grommet/gasket maybe.

Ok maybe I should clarify some. I have the gas line or hose whatever you want to call it on my homemade stack cover. I have six inch stacks and a toolbox. I custom made the cover to fill in the gap. With the cover though I would say something along the same lines should work just fine. My bet is that the hole in the cover would actually be cut in as an oval. or more like an egg. The heat at that point in the stacks really isn't enough to melt anything I don't think. It maybe 150 degrees. I would say, you can lay you hand on them for a few seconds. So you should be ok there.

Attachments

• Truck Pics 017.jpg
    Truck Pics 017.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 105
What I thought about doing was taking like the frame from those billet gas doors or something alone those lines and putting that down around the hole and have the stack stick up through it.

What kind of cover is it??

You could get something like a retrax and use the cover idea similar to what Got Diesel did before the canister for the cover to roll into....

I had a customer show up here local that had one. He just cut the hole in the cover a little over 1/4 inch bigger than the stack (if that makes sense) then re stiched it with the material that was cut out. Looks real good, and no heat problems.

3.jpg

Took a while but I found a picture of this guys truck. He's got a soft cover, with a 6" stack. And all he did is what I explained above. Looks good, and he has no problems with heat.

i have seen them done on the hard cover, holes were just a lil bigger (maybe 1/4) than the stacks, looked great but then you can't open the cover, but for a race/toy truck who cares
robert

ya but i would need to open the cover to get to some bottles in the bed.
in our pulling truck we have a stack through the toolbox, and you pull the stack off to open the toolbox, i was thinking about doing that, so i can open the cover

Could you put an expanded bottom on the bottom of the stacks so when the cover is down the stacks slip onto the exhaust pipe, but when you pick the cover up the stacks go up with it? I hope that makes atleast a bit of sense

Don't they make a hinged hard cover? Where the back half doesn't flip up? I think I've seen some thing like that before. Let me see if I cant find out where......

Dam I have a headache after reading all of this... I think that video of that single cab yellow dodge looks pretty dam good with the stacks coming out of the rear of the bed. IMO....

Back