Starting after a year of sitting

PSD Trav

Adrenalin Junkie
Any pointers for starting a 91 cummins engine that has been sitting for about a year? I am looking to buy and dont know the steps for this and not ruin the engine or injectors.

Personally I would make sure it had good clean fuel. Make sure it has a fresh hot battery in it. Look for rats nest and the like. Pull the intake tube and check it out. If everything is good give it a start.

Heck fresh fuel and a clean intake track systen from turbo to intake and see if she starts Þhats what I'd do or just crank and see what happens thatd be my first it will start its a 1stgen!bad fuel or not that's my .02

i would pull the valve cover and pour some fresh oil down across the rockers and allow it to run down on the cam shaft and all them turn it over a couple times by hand. and fresh fuel and check the tank and make sure your don't have algae growing in the old fuel

never had to do this. on a gas engine we put oil down the cylinders .and crank over by hand.and do what skynyrd said.

LOL, don't sweat about one year, I have all kinds of seasonal machines around here and they can sit a year at a time all the time.

Pulled the rails off of a D7 cat 15 years ago, last fall put it back together, made two revolutions and started. Couldn't believe it.

Mine sat for three years (06 - 09) straight. All I did was check the intake and the wires and get a new battery. Started right up.

Back