Steering noise found...

thrashingcows

Well today I decided to see where my "Bang/Clunk" was coming from in the front end. I was pretty sure it was the steering box, but had my neighbour crank the wheels back and forth while I watched and listened.

Sure enough the box torqued in one direction, then when direction and torque was applied in the opposite direction I got a bang. And you could see that the steering box had a lot of movement.

Pulled the battery, and IC tube on the DS and lifted up the splash guard. Found one bolt half out and loose. One other was just starting to loosen up. So I removed the two I could remove, cleaned them up and blue loctited them in place. The other two I backed out as for as I could, more blue loctite, and then tightened back up.

Cycled the steering again once everything was back together and all seems well.

Well today I decided to see where my "Bang/Clunk" was coming from in the front end. I was pretty sure it was the steering box, but had my neighbour crank the wheels back and forth while I watched and listened.

Sure enough the box torqued in one direction, then when direction and torque was applied in the opposite direction I got a bang. And you could see that the steering box had a lot of movement.

Pulled the battery, and IC tube on the DS and lifted up the splash guard. Found one bolt half out and loose. One other was just starting to loosen up. So I removed the two I could remove, cleaned them up and blue loctited them in place. The other two I backed out as for as I could, more blue loctite, and then tightened back up.

Cycled the steering again once everything was back together and all seems well.
The plate that the steering box is bolted to likes to crack. This will also create the same sound you describe. Just an fyi......

Last 2nd gen box I replaced with 465,000 had a nice pop when you moved the wheel from 9 to 3 o'clock. Frame had previously been welded also..

Once upon a time my bracket cracked so I replaced it with a new one.
The new bracket had the bolts loosen off on me several times. Every single time I used blue locktite but it didn't seem to stop it from coming loose after a while.

red locktite might be in order, just a heads up.

Back