Still high EOT

Fantom

The truck's an 04 6.0 auto

Just had new OEM oil cooler after having one put in last year along with a BPD EGR cooler, and was still having super high oil temps 250*-ish I was already $2k into, still the same problem so I parked the truck after only putting about 50 miles on it.

Last month I took it in for ANOTHER OEM oil cooler, found out it needed HGs. So HGs, ARPs, OEM oil cooler, (already had BPD EGR cooler installed) $4,700 I'm down the road.

Now with just about 200 miles on the truck since all the work, I'm seeing 220-ish EOT, ECT is usually 6-8* behind. Now I understand that it's hot out (96-98) and that affects it somewhat, but I saw this today
photobucket-4076-1339802566768.jpg

Now the coolant temp fluctuates but as many as 12*, the fan comes on if the ECT hits 220* and drops it back down to about 216*

The EOT does fluctuate, but only by 3 or 4* at best. I'm wondering if I might have a weak waterpump. Anyone else?

oil temps will run 20-30* higher than coolant, 230* for oil is normal

When the wrench indicator lights up on the dash and you get a jibberish hex code on your code reader that is when you replace the cooler.

The 04s don't have the wrench light and don't throw a CEL for 15+* ECT/EOT temps. This is just 200 miles after a new oil cooler and gaskets and studs. So I have no idea what could be causing these temps. What's left? Radiator plugged? Bad water pump? Any suggestions?

How fast were you driving? If you drive 55 do they come closer? MIne gets elevated oil temps at anything over 70 mph but not twenty degrees.

Your coolant temps are about right. So h2o pump and radiator sound fine. I would be thinking restriction. How high are your egt's? Just notice you still had an egr cooler.

That's driving in town around 50 mph and some freeway driving around 70 or so. I do have the bulletproof diesel egr, I have to smog this thing here in CA. The coolant at the point I took the picture dropped considerably, it does go into the 218-220* range when the EOT is 228* or so. I'm thinking there's a restriction also, but not sure where. I don't think the oil cooler could be so severely clogged again after only a couple of hundred miles.

Last edited:
That's driving in town around 50 mph and some freeway driving around 70 or so. I do have the bulletproof diesel egr, I have to smog this thing here in CA. The coolant at the point I took the picture dropped considerably, it does go into the 218-220* range when the EOT is 228* or so. I'm thinking there's a restriction also, but not sure where. I don't think the oil cooler could be so severely clogged again after only a couple of hundred miles.

Could be a water pump. Eot is fine its your coolant temp that is to high.

From my smart car.

That's what I was thinking. Wish I would have thought about that while they had the damn truck apart. Looks like I'll be changing the waterpump.

Yeah, I heard they were real purty, too bad nobody sees them once it's installed. I'm gonna call 'em monday anyway about the oil cooler warranty from ford, it was bad from the factory.

Realized I never posted back over here. Got the BPD waterpump in, no change. Checked temps in the radiator, 5* difference from the top to the bottom. Replaced the radiator with a new OEM and problem solved. Didn't need that fancy BPD waterpump after all, but oh well, replaced everything else

Back