Stock tranny guage how accurate is it?

luvinacummins

How accurate is the stock tranny guage?? Do i need to get an aftermarket one? I tow alot and heavy so just curious..

Thanks fellas

The stock trans temp gauge is accurate. An aftermarket trans temp gauge is a waste of money.

And secondly, the allison isnt really affected by heat the way all other auto's are. The TCM doesnt even go into "hot protection mode" (to help save the trans) until 260*. I doubt you'll even be able to get your stock trans above 200, regardless of how much you tow. Just leave it in Drive, put tow/haul mode on, and let the trans do its thing.

ben

I'm assuming because it's more of a "gear" transmission than the other autos?

Chris

If you keep any transmissions TC locked most of the time while towing you should never run into heat problems unless its slipping.

If you keep any transmissions TC locked most of the time while towing you should never run into heat problems unless its slipping.

x2

most of the heat generated is because of the massive slipping device in the front of the transmission.

possible fan clutch?

over the summer my trans was getting up around the 175-195 area just driving around town. the temp outside was at about 80-85 degrees. would this be caused by a fan clutch? while this was happening i replaced both filters on the trans.

over the summer my trans was getting up around the 175-195 area just driving around town. the temp outside was at about 80-85 degrees. would this be caused by a fan clutch? while this was happening i replaced both filters on the trans.

175-195 is nothing to worry about.

If you put it in tow/haul, the converter stays locked automatically anytime you are above 20-25mph.

ben

Back