Straightening Pinion Shaft

9724VF350

Tractor Guy
I've got a front pinion out of a tractor that is bent. It's similar in size to a pickup truck pinion. Anyone know of someone that can straighten it? The "shank" is about 6" long and it's probably bent about .080. I know it's a long shot, but they're hard to find and expensive.

A good machine shop shopuld be able to make a jig for a press to streighten it. Used to work for EATON axle. we had a 100 ton hyd press we used to streighten pinions and input/output shafts with.
Good luck.

Whats expensive ? straightening that pin can be expensive it all depends on set up time and time to get it back and what tooling needs to be made to hold it correctly.
I have done many axles and shafts for input and out and boat main shafts it could run quite a bit.

The ring and pinion set is expensive. Like 4 grand. Upon closer inspection, the pinion is cracked where it is bent.

If its cracked your probably all done. Aside from that usually once you straighten one it has then been stretched twice and its pretty weak. And sometimes they just break with little to no effort when you try to straighten them.

A good machine shop shopuld be able to make a jig for a press to streighten it. Used to work for EATON axle. we had a 100 ton hyd press we used to streighten pinions and input/output shafts with.
Good luck.

Yep it can be straightened pretty easy I checked runout on them at eatons specs are within .0030 but when they press it there is a chance it could snap because of the heat treating that goes into them to keep them from bending! I broke several right out of the oven!

Back