STS pressures vs Rim Width

CumminsPOWER

"I'll go all in."
Okay, so I have been going through numerous threads on tires/pressures/wheels and from what I gather the STS's like to cup when airred down low on a skinny wheel. I scraped together the money to get these tires and just didn't feel comfortable putting saving under my safe limit for some wheels... although in due time they will happen. I have a 8" wide wheel and plan to get a 10" wide when funds allow it. Now, I know there isn't a set in stone pressure(or anything else for that matter) but I was wondering what your guy's recommendation for a starting point pressure. I was thinking start with 45-50 psi in the rear and 35-40 psi in the front? The tires are 33x12.50R16s btw. Last year I ran 315/75/16 Grabbers with no air down and did well, but ended up twisting an axle shaft on an aggressive start(still learning everyday). Hope me bumping down to 33s on these 3.55s will help this little Dana 70 live long enough for me to finish building my Dana 80. :gag:

Any input would really be appreciated guys!:Cheer:

Not sure how well mine will compare to your results because I run 4.88 33/12.5r17 10 wide rims. 40-45 rear 35 front. Sometimes 30 in the front. Hanging 600# up front.

Like I said bud, any input is appreciated. Have you ever run them on a more narrow wheel? Have you experienced cupping at, even on the 10" wide wheel? I'll be hanging 400 lbs for now.

Always ran a 10 wide rim. From watching my videos I don't see any but that's not saying much. I would have my friends tell me but there either in the stands or have drank enough to where what they see isn't going to be very creditable LOL.

keep em hard so it doesn't stress that 70 any more than you already are. And start looking for a different rear.

Dana 70 + 3.55's + an agressive tire + low pressure = :badidea: :doh:

Mid 20s is more like it in the front....ran a 35" STS on 17" x 8.5" wide H2 wheel, now have a buddy with 33s on that same rim and doing well.

Stick or automatic?

Last edited:
I already have a Dana 80 that I'm "building" as money permits. The truck is an auto. I know not a good thing but I'm missing part of my right leg so kind of stuck with an auto for now... till I figure something out anyhow. So run lower pressure then I had planned in the fronts and keep the rears pretty well aired up? While I have the 8" wide wheel and the Dana 70 anyways.

lol I have thought about it and I'm sure as I get more serious that will be the way to go!

I've got a hand throttle n love it. Plus its just got badass chick magnet written all over it!

Id get that dana 80 in the truck first before anything. What are you "building" in it? just a stock dana 80 is pretty strong

I already have a spool for it. Hope to order some Haisely 37 spline axles with in the next month or so. Still doing research on what gears I should go with. I know the Haisely axles may very well be overkill but I figure why do just build it up now so when the truck does make more power it's ready to go.

As far as the 80... anybody know if they are a direct swap with the 70? As far as mounting points. Like the leaf springs/blocks and shock mounts?

Perfect. Yeah I've got a buddy who works a a driveline place and can build me a one piece. Now what kind of issues with the brakes will I run into since my 01 is disc and the DRW 80 is obviously drum?

They are a bolt in however you need to get bigger U-Bolt plates for under the axles. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a new set of U-Bolts too. As far as the brakes, You might be able to do just a new proportioning valve, or build a disk brake conversion kit for it.

Even if you just got a set of gears and a welded stock carrier for your 80, its going to be better than that 70 you have. You can always toss axles and your spool in later.

Yeah I know. First pull is this saturday so it would probably end up being a mad dash to get it done. :doh:

Back