Stupid input shaft!

indicating bellhousing

You can simply run a flywheel bolt into the crankshaft and then clamp your indicator onto that. Or set a magnetic base indicator on the flywheel. It doesn't need to be centered at all.

Set the pointer to measure (indicate) the radial runout of the bore that the transmission pilots into. You want 0.005" or less runout there. Another method of correcting radial runout (the transmissions pilot bore) is to remove the dowel pins, clamp the part in the correct position, and then ream for oversize dowels. I have done this on big truck SAE flywheel housings.

Then, reset the indicator to read the face that the transmission clamps up against. Measure that surface as well (that is the axial runout) - but you may need a helper to apply thrust to the engine crankshaft so the crankshaft endplay does not throw off your reading.

Check for loose bolts as well as cracked housings.

Is your pilot bushing OK?

How about the clutch disk hub (and springs)?

Well the clutch is fairly new probly has around 5,000 miles on it, could it be warped enuff to be breaking it?

I looked at everything pretty close last time and it looked fine. I havnt droped the tranny yet I'm waiting on a tranny jack but I'll letyou know if there's any visable damadge.

Back