SX366 really this laggy?

I ran the 66/71/13 htt on my 2nd gen, hot smoky mess. It sure hit hard when it finally lit at about 2200, at least until the vp quits trying at around 2800 lol. Id imagine you could tune around it with a CR though and it's cheaper than a new turbo.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You could add a Smarty tuner to the Edge box for more aggressive fueling at lower RPMs. I ran a 66mm on my 2003 auto for a long time. It did lag, but I learned to lock out OD until it was lit.
I ditched the Edge Juice that came with the truck because I wanted reliable gauges instead of the digital format.

So I can stack a Smarty tune on top of the Edge CTS2? I guess I’ll have to look into that more since Edge no longer sells, nor modifies to make, the CTS2 Insight Pro, which took HP Tunes. Man I’m always a day late ??

I haven’t setup the trans for anything but failure yet. So outside of normal operation I don’t have lockup on demand....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get set up with a tuner to get it dialed in with HP tuners. I did one a couple weeks back with 400 67.7/87/.90, and it drive very well.

That’s the direction I’m headed. I ended up putting the Edge on the dirtiest tune, truck in 2nd, and did a dirty load test. I ended up finding soot coming out the sides of 3 ports of the manifold, so the steel gaskets aren’t sealing. Going to stack gaskets and try again and if the turbo lites better than I guess I’ll end up ditching this Edge CTS2 and find someone near Oshkosh, WI for some tunes. I really like the display, data logger, etc or the Edge though. Hate to lose that.

Learn from my mistakes; it's the 71 turbine. Aside from the turbine housing size, I've found that the 71 wheel itself is incredibly free flowing to the point where it isn't "grabbing" enough energy from the exhaust and makes things laggy. The 68 wasn't popular yet at the time, but that's what I should have had for that turbo. It was a 66/71/14.

That makes sense. If I get this turbo together and can get it to function better than hardly I may end up trying a 68mm exhaust wheel and turbine housing. Just sucks that to change those is damned near the price of a different turbo entirely.

I ran the 66/71/13 htt on my 2nd gen, hot smoky mess. It sure hit hard when it finally lit at about 2200, at least until the vp quits trying at around 2800 lol. Id imagine you could tune around it with a CR though and it's cheaper than a new turbo.

That’s the loose plan at this point. I was just kind of shocked how poor it spooled for a CR even if the tuner isn’t ideal. I figured if the tuner can make it a smokey mess from 1100-2400rpm that it’s not the tuner but the turbo.

That’s the direction I’m headed. I ended up putting the Edge on the dirtiest tune, truck in 2nd, and did a dirty load test. I ended up finding soot coming out the sides of 3 ports of the manifold, so the steel gaskets aren’t sealing. Going to stack gaskets and try again and if the turbo lites better than I guess I’ll end up ditching this Edge CTS2 and find someone near Oshkosh, WI for some tunes. I really like the display, data logger, etc or the Edge though. Hate to lose that.

Those small.exhaust leaks aren't hurting spool 1 bit.

It would rip on a old 12v with ddp4 inj's and 24* timing.

Keep the Edge on stock and use as a monitor.

Once you have it tuned with HPTuner, I think the CTs2 may be able to be used to switch between tunes, you may want to verify that though.

Keep the Edge on stock and use as a monitor.

Once you have it tuned with HPTuner, I think the CTs2 may be able to be used to switch between tunes, you may want to verify that though.

I’ll try to find a tuner around me to confirm. Thanks!

Those small.exhaust leaks aren't hurting spool 1 bit.

Assuming my kids go to bed soon I’ll have it resealed tonight and I can confirm one way or the other tomorrow morning.

Keep in mind. Even if you do get that to spool at a acceptable rpm, it'll be no good for towing anything that weighs much.

Keep in mind. Even if you do get that to spool at a acceptable rpm, it'll be no good for towing anything that weighs much.

Oh I knew that going into this. The truck is a daily driver almost exclusively. I’ll only load gravel or firewood into the bed a few times a year and that’s all the actual work it does. My days of trailers and doing cool things are done until the kids are older...

On that note, I resealed the manifold and come to find out it blew some of the gasket apart. I’ve never seen that with steel gaskets so the manifold must be warped. I’ll find another stock 2nd gen manifold, mill it flat, and swap it on if this happens again.

With the gas leaks gone the turbo lites much more predictably and progressively. The new issue was now every time the turbo would lite the truck would defuel and throw a code the CTS2 wouldn’t read. Couple more runs, getting into the pedal much slower, and the truck pulls hard, about as expected. What I figured out is the turbo would lite, the tires would immediately break loose, and the rpm’s would spike (over 4K was the highest I could see before it defueled). So traction is my issue along with the lag-which is much better (fully lit at ~2200rpm) but a bit too much for a DD (useless below 1700-1800).

With that figured out I think stepping down to a 62 is going to be above and beyond my best bet to get the drivability I want. I’m still going to look into HP tunes while using the CTS2 or finding a Pro version to load HP tunes with, but that’ll be a harder venture than swapping snails.

I love my 13cm ss housing, in the beginning their was problems with the wg arm bending and not sealing. HTT has an upgrade for that , Worth lookin at .

I love my 13cm ss housing, in the beginning their was problems with the wg arm bending and not sealing. HTT has an upgrade for that , Worth lookin at .

I have it bolted shut and the bolt hasn’t loosened. When I had the turbo apart I confirmed that the wastegates seal, so this must be the upgraded one or at least hasn’t bent yet.

I think if I had 100% I’d like this turbo a lot more, I just don’t think I have the fuel to get this thing going unless I’m spinning 2000+rpm’s. I’m going to be placing an order for a Phatshaft 62 tomorrow.

Have you pressurized your charge piping and checked for boost leaks?

Correct and no leaks were found at 50psi. I believe I have all the leaks/issues sorted out so the only 2 (3?) things I need sorted out is the oil drain being too restrictive, tuning, and the truck still throws a code (tuner won't read it) and defuels under a hard load 30+psi (trans and tires confirmed to not be spinning). I haven't figured out the criteria for what causes a code and defueling but I'll assume it's the MAP sensor.

I had a Super B Special, 64.5/71/14 and it was ridiculously laggy...with custom UDC tuning, Turbo and Manifold blankets the fastest it would light was 1800rpm...once spooled it pulled like a freight train through the top of 5th gear (G56) where EGT's would start to push 1250-1300...it boosted 53psi at max though.

I had a Super B Special, 64.5/71/14 and it was ridiculously laggy...with custom UDC tuning, Turbo and Manifold blankets the fastest it would light was 1800rpm...once spooled it pulled like a freight train through the top of 5th gear (G56) where EGT's would start to push 1250-1300...it boosted 53psi at max though.

Very low egt, probably spooled slow because of lack of fuel.

Back