Tappets yes or no?

dangerous06

diesel tech
Ok I picked up a used Hamilton Cam and want some opinions on tappets!
Reuse old ones or buy new ones?? Also any secrets to get them out?! "Easily"

I reused my old ones with no issues. I would say if that when you pull the old cam and there is no wear on the lobes of the cam keep running the tappets. If your cam has pitting or wear than change them. my $.02

Last edited:
I had no trouble spending a few bucks on tappets as cheap insurance, tappets wear to the cam, even if it looks smooth, up against a different cam the wear patterns will never be the same.

I have a bald spot on top of my head that works perfect for this. I glue a piece of 400 grit paper to the bald spot, put a tappet in the drill press and then push my head against the tappet. Puts a nice slight concave radius on the tappets for just the cost of the sand paper.

I bought new 24v tappets. Cheap insurance.

Misspelling courtesy of my fat fingers...

All the more reason for reground tappets. My local machine shop regrinds em for $8 each. Or, you can get all new CR tappets for like $140 or so..

keep in mind 12V guys thinking they are smart reusing tappets will have too small of a tappet for most cam lobes.

exactly, the less surface area there is, the less things can go wrong.... ?

Geoff @ colt told me to use 24v tappets, that 12v were too small and that the CR can have interference with the fuel pump lobe on 12v's.

I had already reground my 12v lifter too, but still decided to take the cam builders advice and use new 24v lifters.

My cam was used as well.

Call Snedge for the tappets, best deal I could find.

Back