TDI Passat Intercooler

TooMuchBoost

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Assuming all the pieces of the puzzle arrive on time I could possibly have a big fat IC mounted behind the bumper this weekend.

I can't wait because HP goes to crap once the air temp hits about 65.

Timbeaux38 said:
What about the Huffer? You got that done yet?

I may or may not have it on before I go vacation then return to go to TS.

I can't complain because the price is right....

I'm still waiting on an outsourced 'generic' 2.5" IC piping kit that FedEx is taking its sweet time with so the IC will just barely make it on by the time I leave for vacation next week.

There will be no time to install the turbo by TS....however the post office has the baddest Rocketchip TDI Hold My Beer ECM that Jeff has ever made waiting for me to pick up that makes stupid boost (I'm going to have to pop some boost off with the stock turbo but I'm going to be very liberal with the setting) so TS will still be very interesting.

paging too much boost

I really need a second ride, I really need a TDI ( Geez that rymes I am a poet!):bang

Knowing all that you know now what would you get? Bang for the buck what is the best? which ones are reporting the highest mileage? Any Years to steer clear of?

From what I've read the early 2000's Golf and Jetta 5 spd get great MPG's considering they are 'newer' models.

Best bang for the buck is any mod I have done so far....I have no regrets. If I bought a TDI car again it still would have been the Passat (though there is no 06 Passat TDI and will be no 07 TDI's in the US due to emissions)considering its size and PD 130 motor that comes in it even if it 'only' gets 40 MPG at 80 MPH. The next generation TDI's will be common rail which will be fun if the 6 psd automatic can stay behind it under big power.

In 51K the only time my car has been to the dealer was for an issue I caused and they warranted it.

I'm about to put that crazy ECM on now and send the turbo toward Bowling Green by itself.:aiwebs_029:

TooMuchBoost said:
From what I've read the early 2000's Golf and Jetta 5 spd get great MPG's considering they are 'newer' models.

Best bang for the buck is any mod I have done so far....I have no regrets. If I bought a TDI car again it still would have been the Passat (though there is no 06 Passat TDI and will be no 07 TDI's in the US due to emissions)considering its size and PD 130 motor that comes in it even if it 'only' gets 40 MPG at 80 MPH. The next generation TDI's will be common rail which will be fun if the 6 psd automatic can stay behind it under big power.

In 51K the only time my car has been to the dealer was for an issue I caused and they warranted it.

I'm about to put that crazy ECM on now and send the turbo toward Bowling Green by itself.:aiwebs_029:

Okay so your saying the 2000's got the mileage, Whats the discalaimer abut them being " NEWER" mODELS?

Also it seems like back in the day you wanted to sell the Passat. WHY?

You give me a 2000 tdi and I bet I can bust 70 mpg with a throttle cable going slow. I'm fixing to go to that TDI site and start causing trouble

I'm saying from what I've read the early 2000's get good economy vs. the older VW TDI models so you get a 'newer' model along with its power and creature comforts.

In other words why buy a 96 when you could have an 01?

I only wanted to sell it to get late model Cummins and still will its just a matter of when.

The new programming rips considering its well in to the humid 90's, the A/C was on and the stock intercooler heat soaks quickly. I can't wait to see what a difference a big IC up front will do.

Saturday evening with my brother riding shotgun I ran a stock 03 Mustang GT 5spd from a ~30mph roll to 110-115 and had him by 2 car lengths at 70 and pulling and by the time we hit 110 I had 3 car lengths and was pulling away even harder.

He had the balls to lie and say he never downshifted out of 5th but I didn't argue with him only laughed at him. Even my brother who has a 13 second 01 convertible said he was full of chit and that he would have really fallen on his face when he hit 4th gear with those stock 3:2x gears. I told him you just got beat by 2 liter 4 cyl VW diesel.:rockwoot:

Not bad with saturated stock IC, stock turbo and stock exhaust.:bigsmile:

Last edited:
So I'm guessing the bigger IC didn't get put on this weekend if you were out hunting mustangs again LOL LOL

I'm still waiting on the piping to show up........

I have seen the light though. Once this car has a turbo that can make 40 psi and an intercooler to feed cold air to it I might just have the ultimate 40 mpg diesel driving machine.

Last edited:
Spoke with Andy last night...this thing should be done this weekend barring incident

Back