TDI recommendation for Land Rover?

Dach Savage

I need recommendations on where to look for a fairly light TD of about 150-200 Hp. I have a `98 Land Rover Discovery with the notorious 4.0 gas engine and ZF 4 speed auto trans. Engine has the typical blown head gasket and possibly the typical loose sleeve issues. I bought this Disco with the intention of just fixing the engine but the more I fiddle with it the less I like the idea of spending some fairly big bucks just to have an obsolete underpowered gas guzzler. Seems to be a better idea spending the money instead to repower/convert this to a diesel. Better mileage, torque curve match and longevity. Rover put a TD in these but they never imported them to the US so used engines are hard to get and overly expensive due to shipping and import fees. I have looked at the 4BT, lots of these in jeeps and love it but its just too heavy, noisy and frankly would like something a little smoother and lighter on the chassis. Around 4-500 lbs would be perfect. From what I have read so far the common rail direct injection turbo engines with intercooler are the most powerful for size and weight. I have looked at the OM612 2.7s TDI out of the `02-05 Sprinter, looks perfect but the electronics are daunting. The HS 2.8L TGV would be excellent but also imported and expensive. I have to believe that there is an engine available in the US that would be a great match for this otherwise excellent vehicle. Any suggestions as to engines to look for and where? Got anything interesting to sell reasonable? I am on the Land Rover forums and finding only guys in the US that seem limited to sticking old `80s 300 Mercedes in 4x4s or building bare bones rock crawlers with 4bts. Maybe I am *bdh* but hope the diesel experts here can help. DACH.

Last edited:
Cummings OSB 3.3 anyone? What about the Jeep V-6 TDs? By the way, is there advantages to inline engines over V-6s or V-8 formats?

Looking seriously at the OM 612 CDI right now, seems like if one can overcome / work around / eliminate some of the undesirable engine management electronics it might be an excellent candidate for re-powering all kinds of small trucks and maybe performance cars. For corn sake, its a diesel - I would think that there must be a (practical) way. Isn't common rail direct injection the chrome cat-**** for diesel performance right now? Thoughts, constructive comments or real world experience would be appreciated. Dach.

Common rail is awesome for the controllability of the timing and duration thru electronics for sure. Mechanical diesels can make the similar power (more in some instances if you are going extreme) but will typically be dirtier. For a swap I'd want mechanical for simplicity. Plus, common rail injectors are spendy and don't have the lifespan of mech. injectors, and can cause big problems when they fail and overfuel if not caught early.
As an example, I can get injectors installed in my truck for $600. A set of common rail ones would be $3000+ and that isn't installed. Mine have 200k miles on them too. Cummins common rail injectors live for 80k miles or so, but it can vary a ton.
Opinions vary a ton too as I'm sure we will hear. :blahblah1:

Hey man, if it were my rig I would probably go with the 3.0 liter Mercedes OM617. Good ol' mechanical inline Bosch inj, broad rpm range, tough as nails.
If you are wanting something more modern then I'd just go for it and figure out how to get your hands on one of the new VM Motori 3.0 V6's. $.02

I agree on the mercedes motor, if coupled to a manual trans, like a toyota. Good donor availability, unlike the 4bt and others.

Last edited:
i think a tdi swap would be sweet. my dad has a 1.9 in a bug with the european turbo bigger injectors and an ecm tune. if i remember right it's supposed to be putting out 300lb/ft. it really moves in that small a car

Back