Tell me if im wrong

Thegrampatrk

So finaly after 6 mo. My 93 d250 is running but its a dog some looking proved I have 4.11 gears! my question is if I go to 3.08 I gain alot in mph and rpm range but will I loose all my take of the truck has a 518 od and some power mods hx40 super and pump mods

You will notice it when getting a load off the line. But as far as acceleration,, you will see that the 3.07 put a higher load on the engine, and will give it a longer pull feeling in each gear. I've been in some gas trucks that were so low geared it actually diminished there acceleration. I've even seen the change from 3.73 to 4.10s cost a guy with 35" tires some quickness.
This effect can be multiplied with a turbo charged engine like our diesels. Less load, less spool up. I have 3.07 gears now and would love to get a hold of some 3.55s.

ill trade you gears.....mine might not be as low as i think
dog being its slow but not like its running bad i have a wg issue right now my hx40 is opening at 25psi my fault its a 16cm housing i need to tie the gate back shut. but its out of rpm at 85mph and its not super quick to get there. im in the process of getting nozzles 5x16s yes they will be popped before being installed. i have my primary and piping alredy done just off at the moment til i have fuel for them to really let them rip. ive alredy done all the basic mods fuel and star wheel and a ground pin to about as crazy as it can get with a stocker i drilled the banjo bolts to 13/64ths or something i took them to the largest size i could with out being out of room for sealing washers and it woke it up alot in the rpm department. converter is also rly loose and i cant afford to fix that right now.

A gear change and tighter converter will make a huge difference. I know the feeling your talking about. My p pump 5 speed truck had 4.10s. Great for towing and keeping it in the power, but too close for racing and messing around.

whell now comes the dicision buy and swap a 47rh.....needs alot of cash to build it right
use the 47re i took out of my other truck and rebuild it with a manual vb and a lockup switch has a big single disk i can have rebuilt.
or put money in the a518 non lock up

Im use to my 99 24v with twins an edge and 75s and a stage 3 ats

I noticed a distinct loss in power going from 33" tires to 35" tires (similar weight overall as the 33s had heavy rims). I have 3.73 gears.

Once a motor is in the sweet spot for gearing all else sucks. I have found with a VE it seems to be 33" and 3.73 (Which would be the same gearing as 35" tires and 4.10s but more rotating mass from the 35s), which nobody ever runs because stock it's either 3.55/4.10/3.07 in the vast majority of cases.

3.55 and stock tires is great too. Even less rotating mass. Nobody likes 235/85/16s though.

What size tires are you running?

I have 35's with 3.07's, I noticed a bit of a difference coming from 33's.

The taller the gear/tire, the more load you put on the clutch packs, so over-build the tranny and use the best clutches/steels you can.
Also consider a bolt in sprag while you're in there.

Mark.

Even better is 255 85's if you can find em. Tall and skinny looks awesome on a 1st gen, imo.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

I had toyo m55 tires in that size. I liked it on my first gen but they looked dorky on my ford.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back