The Texas freeze killed my starter....

Archnemesis

Blackmega 2.0
Well seems the starter has met it's match after this freeze. Batteries are good, starter just clicking.

What's best replacement options?

Probably just needs new contacts, if same starter as a VP truck, only takes about 5-10min to change them once starter is out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

But if you take it apart and one of the contacts will be warn down almost to nothing. New set of contacts and she will be back to yard burnouts.

I had to question what kind of candy-ass starter can't turn a truck over in Texas.

In all seriousness, you need to fix or avoid the low voltage cranking that burnt the contacts in the first place.

If you are feeling cheap you could probably take the disc out and knock down the burnt area, rotate it and get some more life out of it. I've gotten to where if I'm going to fight something loose, it's getting replaced.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Larry B still selling contacts?

That's what I used on mine, mine wasn't burnt, just worn out! Quick search show still available for $35 from the first place that popped up.

But if you take it apart and one of the contacts will be warn down almost to nothing. New set of contacts and she will be back to yard burnouts.

Thanks for everyone's advice! I actually found an oem Denso one for $300 and ordered it before I saw all these posts

At this put it's gonna be permafrost burnouts as this am it's 7* out and we haven't seen a day above freezing for a few.

20210215-080615.jpg

20210215-080649.jpg

20210215-141526.jpg

This was from the hood(hoods to some) being open for 1hr.

20210215-142053.jpg

20210215-120308.jpg

I had to question what kind of candy-ass starter can't turn a truck over in Texas.

In all seriousness, you need to fix or avoid the low voltage cranking that burnt the contacts in the first place.

If you are feeling cheap you could probably take the disc out and knock down the burnt area, rotate it and get some more life out of it. I've gotten to where if I'm going to fight something loose, it's getting replaced.

You bring up an awesome point! So I've ran a single battery for forever and just recently switched to an odyssey pc2150t battery which is a freaking monster and incredibly strong battery. The Anteater creates a slow constant draw so I thought between the single battery and the freeze it was dead.... hooked up battery tender and battery showed 97%. Hooked up a second fully charged battery to the system and it's a no go.... just clicking.

Prior to the battery swap though had plenty slower cranks that I bet you're spot on helped add insult to injury on this starter.

It's the original one and considering it's a 14yr old unit, it's definitely served it's purpose!

That's what I used on mine, mine wasn't burnt, just worn out! Quick search show still available for $35 from the first place that popped up.

Based on the clicking I'm leaning towards the wornout side of things also.

LOL at all the people griping about cold and white stuff. All my life its been that more months of the year than not haha

LOL at all the people griping about cold and white stuff. All my life its been that more months of the year than not haha

This turd love the cold too.....

Resized-20210216-101117.jpg

Me....

Not so much... but fixing to go test my yard burnouts skills in the sxs.

My SXS for the day.
Brand new 980(M?) with the most ferocious seat warm my balls have ever met. Even that big bitch was sliding around on the ice under the snow.
665f918b92df6dbdeaba584e8c17e180.jpg

I hit some ice in a triple 7 in a quarry the other day while bringing it up from a pit to service it. Got kinda nervous i was going to slide over the embankment. Its surprising machines of those size loose traction too.
Few other forums im on have been littered with gelling threads since this cold snap and storms. Nothing new to most of us. I like snow. Wouldnt mind having it more than we get it. The ice is what i dont like

Last edited:
I hit some ice in a triple 7 in a quarry the other day while bringing it up from a pit to service it. Got kinda nervous i was going to slide over the embankment. Its surprising machines of those size loose traction too.
Few other forums im on have been littered with gelling threads since this cold snap and storms. Nothing new to most of us. I like snow. Wouldnt mind having it more than we get it. The ice is what i dont like
Track type machines on frozen ground will make everything pucker in a heartbeat. Also had to work on more than a few rocks drills on benches with steel in the ground where you can see your impending death at the bottom.. I digress.

Back